Detroit Vs. Bsas

EdRooney

Registered
Rich One brought this up on another thread, but I thought it would be a fun topic in its own rite. So let's have it out here: Motown vs. "Mi Querido Buenos Aires," which one wins a jello wrestling death match? Discuss.

Does tango-loving, mate-sipping BA have anybody who can stand up to Doctor Detroit?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&ei=Nm-uUp7LCc-dkAeU0ID4BA&url=http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3D67IIRN9FfH4&cd=1&ved=0CDIQtwIwAA&usg=AFQjCNF-DYhSUllkzGqyojX-cfitE10uHA&sig2=CRzrbApynPeX4Sr0xhBUGQ

It's an interesting topic really- I think they really have quite a bit in common if you think about it. Sometimes I muse that Argentina could be fertile soil for some kind of different grass roots movement, for instance wide scale cooperatives based on open hardware - sort of a new breed of cottage industries. Seems Detroit has this kind of possibility too. I was recently intrigued with this mini-documentary about entrepreneurship there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vx9BPNkMdgg

as a detroiter, im going to wait a bit longer to see what you all have to say before i REALLY chime in .....

Detroit is fortunate to have the Tigers, which Buenos Aires will never match (though I'm an NL/Dodger fan myself).

The Red WIngs have been an Icon in the NHL for years. The years the Formula One race was held downtown Detroit were great. Greek Town has great food. Detroit is a sad situation. Lost so much Industry and jobs.

BA over the last decade is industrialising at the fastest rate in its history. While there is still obviously way too much poverty, it is overall moving in the right direction with investments in infrastructure and civic improvements. And while I find the current administration reprehensible, it still nonetheless has an excellent democratic structure with officials elected by the population.

Detroit over the last decade is de-industrialising, with basic city services being cut extensively especially in lower income neighbourhoods. While there still is alot of wealth in the city, it is increasingly more unequally distributed. Perhaps worse of all, the city has completely given up any semblance of democracy, and is now run by an unelected City Manager with dictatorial powers.

Overall, the average Detroiter is richer than the average Porteño, but on average life is improving in BA and declining in Detroit.

I never understood what you find reprehensible about Macri? Is it purely ideoligical or is there something that he has actually done that has you so riled up? I like what I see in terms of public transport, seems to have found a way to work with the govt now for major infrastructure works and as bad as they are the Cap Fed cops are less useless than their provincial cousins. I fully support parking meters too...

On the negative we are yet to see this alternative inflation index and methodology which he announced and I definitely do not like the anti abortion stance he has taken. A little too socially conservative for my tastes.

What am I not seeing? (a genuine question, no provocation intended).

Back