Dialling phone numbers here?

El_Jameso

Registered
Not sure why this seems to pose such a problem for a thoughtful, young Technocrat like me. Has anybody else struggled with this?

Biggest problems seem to be the existence of different-length numbers, and not knowing which prefix codes to use.

e.g. I have a friend's number, which is 1538180*** (last three numbers have been blocked out). Can anybody tell, simply from looking, if this is a cell or a home number? If so, how?

Argentina is +54. So I would assume that my dial from Skype should be +54153810***. But, it doesn't seem to work.

Anybody got any tips?

Your friend's number is a cell number because it starts with 15, and has eight numbers after.

To call cell phone numbers from abroad you need to dial 9 instead of 15.

I am not sure but I think you also need to dial, after or before the 9, the area code, which is 011 for Buenos Aires, for instance. (You can try both options and figure it out)

Also I am not sure, but I think your friend will have to pay the roaming service in the next cell phone bill.

I know that text messaging is the same price for local or international cell phones.

Let me know if this is enought or if you need more help on this issue.

Ohhh, OK. so 911 instead of 15. Don't know WHY I couldn't figure that one out for myself.

Thanks, guys. I knew the clever BA ex-pat crew would have the straight dope.

Don't feel bad Jameso, it took me FOREVER to figure it out when I was still back in the states.

But yes, to call a cellphone, it should be 001 54 9 11 and then the cellphone. Thats what always worked for me. Not to mention that depending on the cellphone carrier, they may not let the call through.

I was never able to get a call through to a cellphone on personal when I was calling international.

El_Jameso said:
Can anybody tell, simply from looking, if this is a cell or a home number? If so, how?

Normally the 11 **** **** is a fix phone. But usually you never say the prefix. So a number without prefix is always a fix number.

Cell phones are 15 **** **** when you call from Capital. When you go out of BA (don't know until where, but if you drive for example 1 h south, it changes) you have to change the 15 in 011 so :

when you call from cell phones when you are out of the city, you dial 011 **** ****

When you are abroud, you add a 9 and omit the first 0 and it becomes + 54 9 11 **** ****

So yes, it is very complicated....

At least with Movistar and Personal if you add other mobile numbers to your phonebook as:

+54911xxxxxxxx

You can dial it from anywhere in the world, and from anywhere in Argentina. You have to enter the plus as it is (hold down zero on most phones to make a +).

Replace 11 with the area code the mobile is in, for example a La Plata mobile number would be +549221xxxxxxx. It also works for landlines just the same, remove the 9 from the beginning of the number. Don't add 15 to the number or anything else.

It works inside the area, outside the area but within Argentina, and anywhere else in the world, and works for both calls and SMSs.

For land lines you dial +54 (or 0054) area code (11 for Buenos Aires) and the eight digits number.

I believe that inside capital federal you may use 11 OR 15 when calling a cellphone. I usually just add 11 to all my numbers, regardless of the type.

Back