Did I Get Ripped Off At Prana (Hair Salon) ?

arami035

Registered
So I've gone to Prana a couple of times and it's a bit more expensive then your run-of-the-mill hair salon. I'm generally ok with this because I found a pretty talented guy who could deal with my purple fro.

Last time I went they charged me 750 for bleaching/re-dying my roots and 600 for a cauterizacion which I thought was a little exessive.
I have short curly hair (just above my shoulders). Is this normal? Should I just directly ask my hair guy what the deal is?

Thoughts?

You should have just checked the price list before you got anything done. Prices for such services vary a lot from one place to another.

It is excessive, but I don't doubt that many salons would charge such a price, especially one who is trying way too hard to look cool like Prana. I used to go to a really ordinary hairdresser because I didn't feel like paying too much. Last time I went there, the guy charged me $200 for fixing the hair on the back of my neck. Didn't even take five minutes. I responded by never going there again. I suggest you do the same. I think there are many stylists who would gladly deal with your purple 'fro and value you as a regular customer.

I am no expert here, but if you have afro hair, then you need special products. Afro hair are not common here, and most likely the products you need are imported. There has been an increase on importing taxes in the last months, I noticed that because I can no longer find a certain cat food which was imported because it is too expensive to be imported, so my shop's dealer stopped handling it. Also, I had a cat who required a stomach pouch and I visited 3 vet shops, they all said they have stopped importing it a while ago and that they have run out of supply. I was told the gov. lowered importing taxes on pharmaceuticals and increased the ones on non-critical goods.

Maybe you should ask for a price breakdown - how much is for the product, how much is for your time?

I go to Prana all the time, fantastic honest place! I dont think you were taken advantage of. They have a set price list, like for cauterizacion they have 3 levels of prices I think (short, medium, long length, measuring where it falls on your back). You could ask to see that to calm your nerves I suppose.
Follow them on facebook, they always have running promos for 25 to 30% off (this week color, last week caute, etc) . Or just message them and ask if they can give you a promo that week for what you want done. they are upstanding and honest and I hope they don't get a bad rep here because of this thread

I went to a place recently and they offered that "baño de crema" which I suspect is little more than a conditioner... I asked the price and they wanted something like 250 pesos. The haircut and blow-dry was 500 pesos. I got a keratin treatment once that cost 400 pesos and lasted only until the next hair washing.

My experience is that for more manual work (cutting, blow-dry, etc) prices are rather reasonable and cheap, but anytime you want a special treatment that's where they make their money. :p

Back