Did I Just Get Ripped Off?

Kate101

Registered
Hello,

I just landed and my only connection is the gal I share an apartment with. I have been researching the blue dolar for months now but no where have I scene a commission spread.
We went to her guy in Florida today. He was actually out but we meet with his co-worker in a very nice office building. The Venta was 12.1 as of today, Dolarblue,net, but we only got 11.5. Does this sound normal? It was maybe 4:00 p.m. today.
My roommate said her actual guy only charges .2 or .3 but beggars cant be choosers. The men on the streets were calling 11,2 when we left.
I am just trying to make sure this is somewhat SOP.

Gringo

You were not ripped off. They sell at the venta rate, but there is a compra rate with a bigger than usual spread currently - this has been going on for the last week and a half or so - before that the spread used to be 20-25 cents between compra and venta.

It's normal, the deep blue is only paid to those who have crisp clean Benjamins.

As for getting ripped off: not to worry, this is the pais con buena gente, it will happed soon enough

Its a black market, you get what you accept. Imagine that not so longer ago 10 to the dollar was considered an incredible rate for selling usd. You are doing pretty well.

no that seems the average these past couple of days. but you could have gotten a better exchange rate. I have gotten 11:80 recently. the spread is usually anywhere from 30-50 centavos for every dollar. now if they would have offered anything under 11:50 I would advise you shop around a little more.

Also, if you get to know someone to trade privately, you both can arrange to the medium between compra and venta and thus profit by splitting the spread. However, be careful when doing it with strangers (theft, fake money, ...). Cuaves and the traders around Florida are typically very safe. And don't change way more than you need for the near future. Currently the blue rate is under pressure because of new regulations that force banks to sell foreign currencies. This will be over soon and you can expect to the rate going closer to the dolar convertibilidad again, which is around 13.

I got 11.7 at the same time from a place I've been going to for years. The difference is hardly worth thinking about. PM me and I will give you my guy (storefront) if you want.

Tom

PS Welcome. Glad you made it.

It's an ILLEGAL black market that you were dealing with! You get what YOU agree to! If you didn't like the rate, WHY did you accept it?

Yea! If you don't like it go back to where you came from! This country is a lot better off than it was 10 years ago! And, stop comparing it to any other place in the world!!!! My 95 year-old grandma just got mugged by 35 motochurros inside her church! They took all of her lunch money! So, consider yourself lucky, neo-liberal!

Oh, and welcome to BA! You'll quickly make up any short on the blue rate with the profit from all of that maple syrup you brought with you. Hahahaha

:)

Back