Digital Nomad policies

carride

Registered
@visitargentina has a new digital nomads page with FAQ explaining taxes are not needed to be paid by nomads, and how to extend after your tourist visa ends. Or seems new to me. And they give up to $500 USD in tourist coupons if you stayed longer than 3 weeks, then upload arrival and departure boarding pass. Not sure what they give, and I assume that means you use coupons upon next visit.

Last edited:
I presume this is just marketing material like the following (which has mentioned it will update the visa procedures “in the coming days” - it hasn’t changed in 9 months);

I presume this is just marketing material like the following (which has mentioned it will update the visa procedures “in the coming days” - it hasn’t changed in 9 months);

also it is difficult to believe that the $500 USD gift card is something real without severe limitations

It's real enough that La Nacion is training its guns on it now:

It seems a pretty weird policy to me. Argentina is already a high value proposition for digital nomads and I don’t see this policy tipping anybody over the edge of coming as a digital nomad so it seems to be a net cost to the state. Besides, I think plenty of digital nomads err on the side of not declaring themselves as such, perhaps this is an incentive for them to do so?

It seems a pretty weird policy to me. Argentina is already a high value proposition for digital nomads and I don’t see this policy tipping anybody over the edge of coming as a digital nomad so it seems to be a net cost to the state. Besides, I think plenty of digital nomads err on the side of not declaring themselves as such, perhaps this is an incentive for them to do so?
The official who Lanacion interviewed explained that it encourages the nomad to spend, which directly brings in real dollars into the country. I guess possibly they might spend more than planned. The gift card they are given, is pesos converted at the official rate (so not a real u$d 500). The gift card can only be used at places that are listed on their website, which in itself is promoting places the foreign nomad might not have known about.

The journalist was as surprised about the program as most locals who are angry the government giving away money. Through their research they learned of a similar program rewarding any regular foreign tourist in a similar way. Though, to me the .travel site seems less official. https://www.argentina.travel/landing/tesoros-argentinos/

Fine print on that .travel site directs to the official agency and supporting law https://www.argentina.gob.ar/turismoydeportes/inproturinstitucional and mentioned the gift card marketing agency https://www.bigbox.com.ar/

Last edited:
You're going to see a lot of upscale, luxury stuff sitting empty when you go to the resort area of Iguazu. It's '08 South Florida there. This is happening in most of Argentina. Soon, these places will fall into disrepair, abandon, etc & it's going to look like post colonial Zaire.

They're trying to stop it from happening by attempting to increase occupancy levels with stuff like previaje, 20% discount to all foreigners paying with foreign cards, etc but it's not really working.

Can I still get this is I have a DNI?

If tourists who are already in Argentina can't get the Digital Nomad Visa, I seriously doubt it.

I'm not sre if an "ordinary" tourist could get one (either before or after arrival.

One way or another, ot looks like (by definition) you would have to be a "tourist" with transitory residency.

If I remember correctly, you have permanent residency based on being the parent of an Argentine child,

Perhaps you could get it if you leave the country for two years and then re-enter as a Digital Nomad, having applied for the Visa prior to re-entry...

....but I'm not an expert on the subject. 🤠

Last edited:
Back