Digital Nomads - No Hope For Dni?

silla_14

Registered
So, the word from migraciones in Mendoza (per the office in Baires) is that no new category will be created for us digital workers. And, I don't fit into any other residencia category. Nationality - USA.

I would love to know what the digital workers in Baires are thinking…or am I just worrying too much?

You're probably right to worry about it, but there may not be much you can do if you're only looking for residency. The only other option is citizenship, a process that can be problematic and I'm not sure how a Mendoza resident would go about it (but I'm sure Steve would have some good suggestions and/or has already posted the particulars).

Of course, citizenship is a bit extreme if you're looking for a place and not sure how long you'd stay, if you're thinking more of a temporary situation here as part of a plan to spend time in different places for different lengths of time, as you mentioned "digital worker" and many have stated their desire to live in and experience different places because their work would allow it.

If you fall in love and get married you have instant ticket to residency (as long as you're not a criminal or terrorist) but that's as extreme as citizenship. I'm a digital worker from the US and ended up marrying a foreigner with residency here. We got tied down with family or we'd be floating around, ourselves, at least between here and Paraguay to.break the monotonous habits we've developed over the last 7 years or so.

There are ways to make it look like you have an income approvable as a rentista to get residency, but it's iffy and gray at the very best. I personally wouldn't suggest it unless you were really desperate.

I too work as a digital nomad from the wine capital! I think I remember reading that somebody here from the forum hired himself/herself. So he or she incorporated a business here in Argentina and then sponsored his/her own work visa through that business.
Another option might be the "rentista visa". With that visa you would have to incorporate outside Argentina and have your business pay you for example a dividend every month. The minimum income for the rentista visa was 8000 pesos when I looked into it - but I do not know if that number is still valid.

Even citizenship is hard as a freelancer because you have to "prove an honest way of living" and unless you are actually employed by a company somewhere, not just doing independent contractor stuff, it makes the case that much harder. But I suppose with the right lawyer on your side....

Thanks for your helpful comments. As you have noted, the challenge of not fiting into a traditional category for the DNI keeps me from obtaining temporary residency. I am talking to a lawyer and we have not found any clear solution yet. My lawyer does not consider the perma-tourist status a risk to getting residency in the future.

Does anyone know of "perma-tourists" being turned away when crossing the river to Uruguay? I travel frecuently to Santiago, Chile (for business and vacation) and to visit my family in the U.S. Staying idefinitely in Argentina to maintain a low-profile is not very realistic for me. I couldn't do it forever. My burning question, do I make the Colonia trip? I prefer not to overstay because in Mendoza you have to pay the overstay fine via the migraciones office. They usually say "no" and send you to Chile. No kiosk at the airport like in Baires.

Again, I am working with a lawyer to find a path to residency (or rule it out). I am not taking this lightly but my lawyer doesn't think my status (perma-tourist) is a reason for much worry.

I know many others are in this challenging situation. Your thoughts?

Helloooooooo,the permatourist status does not exist.
Even you have immigrated in an illegal way, unless you have a deportation order, you can always apply for residency.
The way is very simple, he has to argue that the immigration categories are illegal at contencioso administrativo federal court. It is going to take for ever but it is possible.
Al kassar citizenship case happend at the same federal court where you have to deal with your residency, so, after that bad experience, i guess they are a difficult court.

Does anyone know of "perma-tourists" being turned away when crossing the river to Uruguay?

While no one can be "turned away" when crossing the river (going) to Uruguay, I don't remember anyone making a post that they were denied reentry when returning from Uruguay. A few were not given new 90 days visas because they had an extension form migraciones that had not yet expired. A few members have reported being lectured by grumpy agents, but they also got new 90 day stamps.

Here's an "old" (but nonetheless interesting) thread that deal with the question of being "denied exit" but you are clearly not in the same boat (so to speak): http://baexpats.org/...95-denied-exit/

I travel frecuently to Santiago, Chile (for business and vacation) and to visit my family in the U.S. Staying idefinitely in Argentina to maintain a low-profile is not very realistic for me. I couldn't do it forever. My burning question, do I make the Colonia trip? I prefer not to overstay because in Mendoza you have to pay the overstay fine via the migraciones office. They usually say "no" and send you to Chile. No kiosk at the airport like in Baires.

My question is why would you make the Colonia trip?...just to get a new 90 day visa before your present one expires?

Also: What does migraciones in Mendoza say "no" to?...paying the overstay fee or granting an extension?

Bajo_cero2 has stated over and over that getting back to back to back 90 day visas does not make or keep you "legal" (or "legit" as some like to call it).

While I don't remember that anyone has reported being denied reentry when returning to Argentina from Chile or Uruguay, it has happened at EZE. Perhaps someone in your shoes should consider flying to and from the US from Santiago and, in the best "fortune cookie comment" ever made in the forum (by Bajo_cero2), "Avoid Ezeiza" (where reentry has become "risky" thanks to ONE disgruntled official).

Digital Nomads should consider living in a new country every 6 months.

advantages :-

aa) No tax liability in the country if you stay less than 183 days
bb) No issues with visas/overstay
cc) New experiences/never a boring moment

@steveinbsas

Well, because my next trip after visiting some friends in Baires will be to the U.S.; leaving from Mendoza. In Mendoza, there is no way to pay the "overstay" fee at the airport. Hence, you have to go downtown to migraciones. However, migraciones here has been known to not want to deal with overstays and they just tell you to go to Chile. So, going to Uruguay (since I'll be in baires anyway) and not overstaying my visa will ease the complication of my next exit trip to USA.

Meanwhile, I am working with a lawyer to convert my "irregular" status to "regular."

Thanks @Ceviche. I am starting to consider your recommendation!

Digital Nomads should consider living in a new country every 6 months.

advantages :-

aa) No tax liability in the country if you stay less than 183 days
bb) No issues with visas/overstay
cc) New experiences/never a boring moment

Great post and idea for digital nomads!

Back