DILL PICKLES baked beans,hummus,BBQ sauce peanut butter, chopped liver

soyme

Registered
Don't you miss this stuff? Papadoms, Naan, Indian curry sauces, Jamacian curry sauces......How nice if you could just buy this stuff here at an Argentine price, and not have to run all over the place to get it.....

There is a great place near me, in Olivos. They make everything there, including different kinds of pickles, sourkraut, hommous, jams, etc.

Peanut butter isn't that hard to find. Most of the big chains used to have PB from the US in their imported sections. Not sure what's happened with K' import fascism.

I forget the exact the exact address, but my neighbours will know. PM me if this isn't too far for you and I will check.

There is also a local peanut butter, but be warned if you are used to sugared, homogenized PB, you may be disappointed, this just peanuts, crushed. But I like it. There is also a specialty shop at Peru and Estados Unidos that sells the local stuff I know.

RR

Anyone ever seen baked beans or papadoms for sale in Bs As ?

Everything else mentioned is relatively easy to find. Naan you have to make it, or go to an Indian restaurant, but it's not something you buy off a supermarket shelf ... is it.

As for chopped liver... may I suggest buying a knife.

Good news, there is an american store in Belgrano wich Im sure it sells everything you are talking about. The guy is from chicago and brought with hem all kind of stuff (food specially) from the states for american expats mostly I guess, cause I had tasted some of these stuff in my breakfast and had to spit it all (no ofence), but im sure american people like it. The bad news is that I cant remember the adrees exactly, but I can remember it was on Derqui street.

I went to buy basmati rice in COTO on Sunday and it was 65 pesos!!! Regular Argentinian rice was 8 pesos....no need to second guess which one I bought, those important restrictions are certainly working in some ways..

Argentinian rice, sold in the supermarkets is the worst. broken grains of rice that normally would be used to fed to animals, yuck!!!, it is really hard to cook.

You should go to Barrio Chino to buy rice.

The cheapest rice they sell is around 5 or 6 pesos per kilo and is great rice. If you buy in bulk it is cheaper. Basmati was 40 pesos a kilo on Sunday.

The first time I cooked rice here, I thought I cooked it wrong, only to find out it is just horrible quality. In the states I thought all rice was the same. Lesson learned here.

The quality its only matter of brands!... dont be cheap and buy something better and it would be a totally different taste.

Panini said:
I went to buy basmati rice in COTO on Sunday and it was 65 pesos!!! Regular Argentinian rice was 8 pesos....no need to second guess which one I bought, those important restrictions are certainly working in some ways..

Just went to an Indian Food store in the Dallas area and Basmati was about US$4.99 for 4 lbs (~1.81 kilos). Imported from India.

US$4.99/1.81 = 2.7569 x ~AR$4.4 = AR$12.13/kilo That was for WHITE Basmati.

The BROWN Basmati was ~AR$17/kilo.

I brought back Indian curry mixes of:

Garam Masala (2x 50gr pkgs) US$1.09/each
"MTR" Madras Sambar Powder (2 x 100gr pkgs) US$1.69/each
"Suhana" brand Lamb Curry Miix (2 x 80gr pkgs) US$1.99/each
Chicken Tikka Masala mix (3 x 50gr pkgs) US$1.29/each
Curry Masala for Vegetable Biryani (2 x 80gr pkgs) US$1.99/each
Curry Masala for Rogan Josh (2 x 80gr pkgs) US$1.99/each
Vindaloo Curry mix (2 x 80gr pkgs) US$1.99/each
Karahi Chicken Masala (2 x 100gr boxes) US$1.49/each
"Badsha" Madras Sambar Masala (2 x 100 gr boxes) US$1.49/each
Karahi/Fry Gosht Curry (2 x 50gr boxes) US$1.09/each
"Patak's" Korma concentrated curry paste (1 x 283gr or 10oz jar) US$3.49
"Patak's" Madras concentrated curry paste (1 x 283gr or 10oz jar) US$3.49
"Taj" brand Chili Powder ("Medium Hot") 400gr bag US$3.29

It's ridiculous how cheap Indian food is... outside of Argentina.

:(

Back