Dirvers License Changes, What Really Is The Law?

jbhenson

Registered
I got my DNI a couple of months ago. I was told originally I could take my license and change it for an Argentinian license as long as I had my license apostilled. No test nothing.

Then I went to the office in La Plata and they said no, I had to take the test because I was pst the 90 days.Well Immagraciones kept my DNI for several months to where the time had already past when I received it. Nothing she could do she said. I had to take the test again both of them. I asked about the law concerning the treaty of Vienna roads and she just shrugged. Told me I had to take the test, and gave me an appointment.

I go to the appointment, with my with my valid license from the states and was told, the license had to be appostilled if I wanted it to count. Otherwise I would have to take both the practical (driving) and theoretical and would have to drive a around with the beginners tag in the windows. This also prohibited me from driving on an autopistas. I asked if I had it apostlled would i, she said no just the written test, eye test, and psycological. But not the driving test.

I paid 300 dollars to get my license certifed copied, noterized, and appostilled went today and was told no I had to take everything.

So what and where is the law that is legally binding for this?

OMG! What a groupe de baise (aka C F in English and it doesn't stand for Cristina Fernandez)!

Based on what you wrote you didn't actually ask about "the law" and where to find it before any of this happened.

If you had, you might have seen a big, teeth baring,grin and heard an answer like, "Laws? We don't need no stinkin' laws!"

Based on my own experiences in Capital Federal and in the Provincia Buenos Aires, the "requirements" are subject to "interpretation" from one driver's license center to another.

My license was rejected in Capital Federal because the official "renewal by mail" sticker on the back did not have a signature of an official (the Secretary of State of Illinois in my case). No one mentioned the need for an Apostille.

I had no trouble with the same licensee a few months later when asking for an Argentine license, almost four years after receiving my DNI in Argentina (as opposed to the 90 days limit they imposed on you.). I was not required to take either the written or the riving test.

Of course that could have changed by now, but I seriously doubt that the requirements are exactly the same in every driver's license center in Argentina, even if there has been attempt to standardize the procedure.

I could be wrong but I think it's up to the individual municipality and/or province to set their own rules.

But the fact that you were told you could skip the driver's test with the Apostille and still had to take it make it look like somebody was just effing with the foreigner.

PS When I renewed my license two years ago (at the last minute), the eye doctor was not there, so they just skipped that part of the process. I oould have had impaired vision and it would not have been discovered.

I started the renewal process on a Monday, with only a week before my license expired (it should be done from 30 to 60 days before the expiration date), but the new license was ready and waiting for me on Saturday (not a day the office is normally even open).

I honestly feel like I am being messed with by Satan, 99% of my life, And his minions are everywhere! LOL

Maybe one of the CIAs trolls has time to follow me around and mess with me daily but I have gotten a different answer at each office I have been too!

I feel the same about the quote, "Laws we don't need no stinking laws"

No one seems to care what the Treaty of Vienna road laws that Argentina is a member of, they just ignore the treaty and do what they want.

I just wanted to see if I could find the actual law, so I could print it for reference!

http://www.seashellsandsunflowers.com/2015/03/getting-driver-license-in-argentina.html#.WjAMJkqnHDc

I read this a week or so ago, but they were saying you needed more than that, and they made me take the stupid course too. So i have had the Course, valid license, DNI, blood test so i could prove my blood type, I had other proof from military documents but they wouldn't accept it. An international license which is in spanish, I had copies of all these documents and then was told I needed an apostille on my license or I would get beginners ONLY after itook both test.

Thats why I want to find it on Argentinas laws or pages. To print off their own websites. I do appreciate you answering though.

wouldn't the international license suffice? Why do you need an Argentine one?

wouldn't the international license suffice? Why do you need an Argentine one?

A foreign license is only "legally valid" (is that redundant?) for 90 days (i.e. the duration of a tourist visa) in Argentina.

After that (and possibly another 90 days if one has a 90 day prorroga), temporary resident are supposed to have an Argentine driver's license. I don't think and international license carries much weight with the authorities, but many officers manning the checkpoints would probably accept one (at least within the 90 day period).

Other members in the past ten years have reported that they drove for years in Argentina with the same (valid/unexpired) foreign license and never had a problem, even with the frequent checkpoints when driving through the provinces.

I never had an International license and I've never driven in Argentina without an Argentine license, but as I previously indicated, my Illinois license with an unsigned renewal sticker on the back was first rejected in Capital Federal in May of 2010 but was accepted in Punta Alta a few months later....almost exactly four years after my first 90 days in Argentina had ended..

I was told by ACA (as well as Buenos Aires Ciudad) that when you have permanent residence your foreign driver's license is not valid here and you have to do the course and both exams to get an Argentine license. If you have your foreign license legalized at your embassy you won't get the principiante license

I honestly feel like I am being messed with by Satan, 99% of my life, And his minions are everywhere! LOL

Maybe one of the CIAs trolls has time to follow me around and mess with me daily but I have gotten a different answer at each office I have been too!

I feel the same about the quote, "Laws we don't need no stinking laws"

No one seems to care what the Treaty of Vienna road laws that Argentina is a member of, they just ignore the treaty and do what they want.

I just wanted to see if I could find the actual law, so I could print it for reference!

You took the words right out my mind.. relating to minions. Sometimes I wonder, can get any more messed up. Today for instance I was working on building and acoustic cabinet and some panels. I had my screws and hinges in place ready to pop in some 100 screws or so and be done with the carpentry part of it. I press my drill into the first screw pull the trigger get about 3 turns and power goes out. There I am it is 100 degrees out side no power and cannot get my work done. Had to wait 2 hours for power. Sometimes it seems this place just likes to mess with mind.

Back