Disappearing Expats? Or Is Everyone Happier?

mmoon

Registered
What happened to our vibrant expat community on this forum? I’ll admit, I also pop on here far less than I did back in the day. Maybe I’m just tired of complaining about the same things. There are far fewer posts than when I joined. Are there also far fewer expats than 5-10 years ago, or is everyone sitting back fat and happy? Or are we all burned out and resigned? Enlighten me! I’m hoping everyone is just having far too many amazing expat adventures to hang out online...

What happened to our vibrant expat community on this forum? I’ll admit, I also pop on here far less than I did back in the day. Maybe I’m just tired of complaining about the same things. There are far fewer posts than when I joined. Are there also far fewer expats than 5-10 years ago, or is everyone sitting back fat and happy? Or are we all burned out and resigned? Enlighten me! I’m hoping everyone is just having far too many amazing expat adventures to hang out online...

I've been thinking about this lately. This morning I noticed that there were only a couple of posts this past weekend...in the entire forum!

I think many formerly "active" members have left and almost all of the trolls have been purged.

I seriously doubt that there are many (if any) expats who were previously active in the forum are now too happy to post.
emo32.gif

I was thinking the same thing the other day I think the inflation is bearing down on everything no way I would live here outside family requirements at these prices. I just bought a over a little of a kilo of asado and it was 220 pesos. Inflation is keeping it course it seems. Of course I bought at a super market but. Seems everything just going up up up. Looking for new high end PS now WoW 5K or more. Seems cambio needs traction.

They've left. The first batch to leave were the ones who defended everything the Kirchners did. They hated the US and thought Argentina was a paradise, as long as it was cheap and they could live well. Once the going got tough they decided the US wasn't so bad after all. The second wave of refugees were those who were more committed but were sinking under the inflation and instability. Now there is just a hardcore left, mostly people married to Argentines who don't want to leave. Well, that's my take on it.

Some of them may have moved to West Virginia to take advantage of the low property tax rates, but I kinda doubt it.
emo32.gif

Nothing to complain about? Cream cheese an kale are available..! No more visa applicants? no bank accounts available, women are happy.

Some of them may have moved to West Virginia to take advantage of the low property tax rates, but I kinda doubt it.
emo32.gif

ja ja. You're making fun of West Virginia but the truth is that there are college towns, many educated people and some of the most beautiful scenery in the world....An Argentine friend (retired professor at UBA, now teaching at a private university in BA) spent a semester teaching at a university in WVA and he loved it. He'd like to settle in West Virginia but it's not possible at this point in his life...but back to the disappearance of expats. Just talk to real estate agents who deal with foreigners. Most have sold and left. It's just too tough dealing with the problems.

1 in 5 posts I write get plocked by forum filters. It gets frustrating pretty quickly. No post gets unplocked. No 'contact padmin' in sight.
Expats have moved to other shores, but of course I cannot disclose where because posts containing plinks to 'competitors' are automatically pfiltered AND pflagged. Oh, the same applies to pPM as they get read as well.

I tell people in person where, but then nobody register there. I am not talking about a very popular social media whose founder wears the same gray tshirt everyday. There, there are groups but admins won't allow certain topics and are heavy handed in managing these groups.

Words have been purposely mistyped in this post to ensure it will stay online for a few hours at least.

1 in 5 posts I write get plocked by forum filters. It gets frustrating pretty quickly. No post gets unplocked. No 'contact padmin' in sight.
Expats have moved to other shores, but of course I cannot disclose where because posts containing plinks to 'competitors' are automatically pfiltered AND pflagged. Oh, the same applies to pPM as they get read as well.

I tell people in person where, but then nobody register there. I am not talking about a very popular social media whose founder wears the same gray tshirt everyday. There, there are groups but admins won't allow certain topics and are heavy handed in managing these groups.

Words have been purposely mistyped in this post to ensure it will stay online for a few hours at least.

If I recall, it's [email protected]

Back