Disco vs. Carrefour

sgarlow

Registered
I live near Plaza Italia and most of the time when I go to the Disco at Paraguay and Armenia, the line reaches toward the end of the aisles and it takes 30+ minutes to checkout. At the Carrefour a few blocks away at Scalabrini and Soler, there's hardly ever a line. Aside from the produce being better at Disco (which doesn't matter much to me, because I prefer my verdulería over both), they seem similar to me. What's with the huge crowd at Disco? Is there some huge advantage I don't know about?

One factor might be that Disco offers reward points and Carrefour doesn't...and the natives are used to waiting in line.

I think in general Disco is more expensive, Carrefour does offer all kinds of discounts with debit and credit cards, usually 20% on Thursdays on all credit and debit cards. Then they will give you a credit to use on your next purchase. It's a game.

This time of the month, there are lines at all the grocery stores and banks. Today was mobbed. And Steve is right, they are use to the lines here. I stay away the first week of the month it is crazy.

Thanks. Carrefour did seem a little less expensive to me, but I wasn't sure if I was making it up. And I could never figure out the logic for when we do/don't get coupons.

I used to go to both these stores when I lived there. I miss them:( and the long lines (not really). Here are my time saving tips. I prefer Disco to Carrefour.

If you go to Disco between 3:30 and 5 pm, the wait is significantly shorter. Sometimes, you can breeze right through with no one in front of you. Mornings are also a great time.

Buy fewer items and get in the 15 items line. It moves much faster even when it looks like it's longer. Caution: if you go into the 15 items line with more than 15 items, there are checkers who will boot you to the other lines. They actually count the items.

Some checkers are faster than others in this Disco. It makes a difference if you go to them even if the slow checkers have a shorter line.

I miss my Disco but not the inflation in Buenos Aires.

I shopped at Carrefour on Aguero in BA because it was very close to my apartment. Yes, I remember the incredibly long lines, but the prices weren't bad. I also bought produce elsewhere because Carrefour doesn't have very good quality fruits and vegetables, but I do miss their alfajores. Long lines are everywhere, but going at times of day when more people are working than shopping is a good idea, as others have said.

Zenobia said:
I shopped at Carrefour on Aguero in BA because it was very close to my apartment. Yes, I remember the incredibly long lines, but the prices weren't bad. I also bought produce elsewhere because Carrefour doesn't have very good quality fruits and vegetables, but I do miss their alfajores. Long lines are everywhere, but going at times of day when more people are working than shopping is a good idea, as others have said.

This is the Carrefour I go to. During the day the lines are not bad. (except Saturday morning) After the middle of the month, lines are not bad most of the time. Their fruit and vegetables have improved since they remodeled that department. You can find cilantro, lemon grass, hot peppers, and other "exotic" items sometimes.

When I first moved here none of these items were found in grocery stores, you had to go to Abasto or barrio chino to find even a red onion or fresh ginger. Now these are common in most grocery stores. So things have improved somewhat.

Back