Discrimination at Campeonato Metropolitano de Tango

Bajo_cero2

Registered
On Wednesday I went to Loyola 828 to participate at the Tango competition but we were rejected because my dance partner is from Vietnam and according to the brand new rules, only Argentinians can compete.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=On5sIm3J-6g

This is against the National Constitution. Inhabitants and citizens have the same rights, so both have the right to participate and compete. This is the argument the Argentinian/Canadian couple used and the Judge said they were right and she ordered to let them compete.

http://blogs.lanacion.com.ar/maldit...a-una-extranjera-en-el-metropolitano-de-tango

They won the first round in both meanings, they were able to compete and they were classified:
http://www.2xtango.com/?p=10330

I started a Claim at the Anti-discrimination Agency (INADI) on Friday.

Denuncia-1.jpg

And my partner and me were at the news today:
http://www.telam.com.ar/vernota.php?tipo=N&idPub=221955&id=421741&dis=1&sec=1

We might be tomorrow at Cronica.

On Thuesday I am going to start a class action in order to cancel the competition and to restart it againg but without those rules.

Regards

I'm really glad you stood up for yourselves. That should not be tolerated!

That's ridiculous, a japanese couple won the tango salon camponeato mundial in 2009! Is this a new law? I know there were many complaints at foreigners having been allowed to win it!

I am not understanding this thread;
Firstly I understood the Metropolitano was always strictly for portenos, but anyone can enter the mudial. The clue is in the title.
Secondly it was on Thursday at Layola not Wednesday or am I missing something?

Tangobob is right about the porteno thing, if you read this bit of the newspaper report, it also discriminates against Argentines:
exclusivo para argentinos con residencia en la ciudad, ya que el propósito último es seleccionar una pareja de baile que compita por la Capital Federal en el próximo mundial.

You have to be resident in Capital Federal as well as being Argentine as the point of the comp is choosing their representatives of Cap Fed for the mundial...

It is a shame!!! Let us know if we might be helpful or support your actions in some way!!

I am surprised to learn that it is unlawful to discriminate against non-Argentinians. Discrimination is wide-spread in the practices in the institutions, laws and agreed upon values within Argentina as evidenced by formalized differential pricing at a wide range of venues from Teatro Colon to Airlines or hotels and informal price discrimination against those who do not speak Spanish or who speak with a recognizable accent at a wide variety of retail and service shops. Also, I know many Argentinos who pay Bolivian tradesmen or Paraguayan maids less than the prevailing wage.
Every culture has its pluses and minuses. I consider the practice 0f institutionalized discrimination against foreigners one of the minuses of life in Argentina that must be weighed against the positives.

Glad to hear about your advocacy effort.

I read some really ridiculous arguments here. Institutional and legal discriminations are not necessarily immoral or wrong.

If i follow the logical arguments of some of you, i should be able to go to the US or an other country in the world and have the automatic right to citizenship, vote, social security, etc. Otherwise i should be in my right to complain and say that that country is discriminating me for not being a citizen of said country.

Its a metropolitan tournament, that is, a city (taxpayers) sponsored contest aimed at the city's citizens.

fedecc said:
I read some really ridiculous arguments here. Institutional and legal discriminations are not necessarily immoral or wrong.

If i follow the logical arguments of some of you, i should be able to go to the US or an other country in the world and have the automatic right to citizenship, vote, social security, etc. Otherwise i should be in my right to complain and say that that country is discriminating me for not being a citizen of said country.

Its a metropolitan tournament, that is, a city (taxpayers) sponsored contest aimed at the city's citizens.

There is a distinction between bestowing citizenship on foreigners and charging more to attend a performance at Teatro Colon or being billed more to install an air conditioner than locals.

In the case of a tax supported contest, it would seem charging non-residents more to enter might be justified but excluding non-residents smacks of discrimination.

dr__dawggy said:
I am surprised to learn that it is unlawful to discriminate against non-Argentinians. Discrimination is wide-spread in the practices in the institutions, laws and agreed upon values within Argentina as evidenced by formalized differential pricing at a wide range of venues from Teatro Colon to Airlines or hotels and informal price discrimination against those who do not speak Spanish or who speak with a recognizable accent at a wide variety of retail and service shops. Also, I know many Argentinos who pay Bolivian tradesmen or Paraguayan maids less than the prevailing wage.
Every culture has its pluses and minuses. I consider the practice 0f institutionalized discrimination against foreigners one of the minuses of life in Argentina that must be weighed against the positives.

Glad to hear about your advocacy effort.
I have seen the same thing happening in the US...

Back