Disposal Of Hazardous Waste

StuckLikeGlue

Registered
Checked through the forums but couldn't find anything.

We're cleaning out our apartment in preparation for a move and have some things to get rid of that I don't feel comfortable just throwing in the trash (specifically I'm talking about a thing of pepper spray/mace that I brought from the States long long ago and has since expired). Even though it's expired, the last thing I want to do is leave a potential weapon to some random person on the street!

Does anybody know where I can safely dispose of it? A poison control center or something of the sort. Thanks in advance!!

Why not just discharge it and then throw it away? The stuff inside is not actually hazardous waste and is fine to go in the trash.

This might be a stupid question but I'm not sure where I should discharge it though! Anywhere inside my apartment seems like a bad idea, and we don't have a patio or anything... all I know is a friend of mine once accidentally shot a bit of pepper spray onto a counter in his apartment and sent his girlfriend to the hospital :huh:

This might be a stupid question but I'm not sure where I should discharge it though! Anywhere inside my apartment seems like a bad idea, and we don't have a patio or anything... all I know is a friend of mine once accidentally shot a bit of pepper spray onto a counter in his apartment and sent his girlfriend to the hospital :huh:

How bout inside a sealed trash bag. Double, triple, or quadruple bag it if you're worried and press the button through the bag.

I am being forced to save mercury bulbs. I HATE the things and will not have them in my apartment so I took them out and replaced with LED and the portero said there is no special disposal just put them in the garbage.. The stuff is horribly toxic, that's one reason I don't want them where I live. And they want to put them in the landfill? I can't bring myself to do that either but eventually I guess I'll have to.

I think it would be safer to get a bucket full of water and discharge it under water of course! i know that's how tear gas is neutralized when deployed by accident

this is what I did with my expired pepper spray. on a cold rainy night, with no potential victims walking on the streets I discharged it all against a big tough tree. I waited a couple of minutes just in case someone walked by but nobdoy did and it was all good. btw the tree's still in pretty good shape :p

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Dublin2BuenosAires Expat Life 5
M Expat Life 10
Back