DNI application

If I am not mistaken, there is a Migraciones office at Hipolito Yrigoyen (Spelling?) 952. That is where you need to go and apply.

I don't know about any other visa type or anything because I came here on a permanent visa so what I had to do was take the envelope and my passport plus 40 pesos. Also I had to make an appointment online before I went.

Here's the link that you might find helpful. Its Migraciones's website and its in English:
http://www.migraciones.gov.ar/accesibleingles/?dni_extranjeros

Oh, I forgot about one of the most important things. You need to get the Certificate of Domicile (can't remember what its called in Spanish) that you get at your local Comisario/a(?). Take a utility bill under your name and you can get the thing issued right there. Otherwise they come to your address in 48 hours and give it to you there. It only costs 10 pesos. My memory is hazy in all these things because my wife, who is Argentine, basically did everything for me.

Boogalu, you first need a resident visa, which is a completely different kettle of fish. Search visas, and you'll find tomes of information on this forum. Once you're a legal resident, the DNI will arrive in your morning mail.

I can't tell who this is replying to. Thanks for your help. Sounds like I need a resident visa first. Unfortunately, I didn't get the english version of the site. Will keep looking.

Boogalou said:
I can't tell who this is replying to. Thanks for your help. Sounds like I need a resident visa first. Unfortunately, I didn't get the english version of the site. Will keep looking.

Yes, you need a resident visa to get a DNI, but you can also apply for citizenship one year after your arrival in Argentina.

Click on the words "argentine citizenship for foreigners" in baja_cero2's post.

When I started the thread none of us were certain how to apply for citizenship.

If you read through the thread you will learn a lot.

There are also many threads about residency. Enter the words "temporary visa" and/or "residency" in the search engine.

Boogalou said:

If you only can read English the official governement sites provided in the previous two posts might not be much use to you at this point...

I remember when I could read but not understand them very well.

I suggest you use the search feature of this forum and read as much as possible about these topics here...and then ask as many questions as you like.

My first post in this forum was in a thread I started with a question about the DNI. :)

Back