DNI due to expire. No longer work for company. What now?

Seasalt

Registered
Hi,
I have a DNI that is due to expire in September 2019. This was a 1 year DNI. I got this DNI through a company which sponsored me here. I no longer work for this company. From what I can tell, I don't fulfil any of the requirements of renewing my DNI or getting a new DNI; I am not a student here, I no longer work here and I am not married to an Argentine.
Before I got my DNI, I renewed my tourist visa a handful of times in order to spend more time in Argentina and there was one incident where I overstayed and had to pay the fine, leave the country and re-enter etc. I have been using my British passport this whole time. The immigration officer who I paid the fine to told me that I can't let this happen again which I totally understand of course.
So I have 2 questions that I'm hoping someone can help me with:
1) Is there any way to renew my DNI if I don't fall into the categories listed above (student/ employment/ married to a local)?
2) If I can't renew the DNI, what are my options in terms of staying in Argentina (or returning to Argentina)? Would I be able to go back to the tourist visa status? How does that work in practice from the last day of my DNI being valid to the next day it having expired?
Thank you!

1) Is there any way to renew my DNI if I don't fall into the categories listed above (student/ employment/ married to a local)?

The only other way I can think of for you to stay in Argentina (legally and indefinitely) is to apply for citizenship, but your present DNI may be likely to expire before the court accepts you application. If that happens, you might need a lawyer and that will cost at least five thousand dollars.

As/if you consider that, keep in mind that you must demonstrate an "honest means of living" to the court, but that doesn't necessarily mean working en blanco with the DNI and a work contract.

2) If I can't renew the DNI, what are my options in terms of staying in Argentina (or returning to Argentina)? Would I be able to go back to the tourist visa status? How does that work in practice from the last day of my DNI being valid to the next day it having expired?

I'd like to be wrong, but I don't think you automatically return to "tourist stamp status" when your present temporary residency based on the work contract expires. Based on previous posts I've read, I believe you are expected to leave the country. I'm not sue if there's a "grace" period in which you can leave without paying an overstay fine..

Even if you can't "renew" your DNI and don't want to apply for citizenship, you can stay until you're ready to leave and then pay the fine when you do. Just don't plan on returning anytime soon. Given your previous history of a "handful" of renewals and the overstay, combined with what the migraciones officer has already told you, I "imagine" the only way for you to return to the tourist stamp status will be to leave the country or a "significant" period off time and my "best guess" would be at least six months if not a year. Perhaps there's an exception for someone who's work contract just expired. Even if there is, it might not apply if they have a previews record of renewals and overstays (just a guess).

Last edited:
Your question about other categories:
Rentista, pensionado, investor, sports, scientist, religious, medical, refugee, humanitarian, family, marriage, children, diplomat, etc etc. But this will have to wait for another day where you have time to start all over again from ground zero. Not now.

Big decision to make. Good luck.

Last edited:
You should not worry about to start a citizenship case before the DNI expires because the expiration date is by law 10 years. People usually confuse the working permit with the DNI [judges too].

However, once you are in the system, a deportation orden is going to be enacted sooner or later. I suggest you do not wait until you have an arrest order for deportation. Now the game is to be faster than the DNM.

The only other way I can think of for you to stay in Argentina (legally and indefinitely) is to apply for citizenship, but your present DNI may be likely to expire before the court accepts you application. If that happens, you might need a lawyer and that will cost at least five thousand dollars.

As/if you consider that, keep in mind that you must demonstrate an "honest means of living" to the court, but that doesn't necessarily mean working en blanco with the DNI and a work contract.

I'd like to be wrong, but I don't think you automatically return to "tourist stamp status" when your present temporary residency based on the work contract expires. Based on previous posts I've read, I believe you are expected to leave the country. I'm not sue if there's a "grace" period in which you can leave without paying an overstay fine..

Even if you can't "renew" your DNI and don't want to apply for citizenship, you can stay until you're ready to leave and then pay the fine when you do. Just don't plan on returning anytime soon. Given your previous history of a "handful" of renewals and the overstay, combined with what the migraciones officer has already told you, I "imagine" the only way for you to return to the tourist stamp status will be to leave the country or a "significant" period off time and my "best guess" would be at least six months if not a year. Perhaps there's an exception for someone who's work contract just expired. Even if there is, it might not apply if they have a previews record of renewals and overstays (just a guess).

Thank you very much Steve for your insights and advice.

Back