DNI LIST (the queso grande of all DNI questions for US citizens)

sam3g

Registered
Hello all,

I apologize if this subject has been beaten to death, but I have ran into more than 3 yanks at the US embassy with absolutely no clue on how to obtain temporary residency / DNI.

When I receive my antecendente penal from Piedras tomorrow I am going to reserve a turno at Migraciones and would like to know what exactly I'll need. I am in the process of making a DETAILED report of all of this to save people the hassle in the future so any help would be appreciated.

Here is what I have so far:

USA:
-FBI Background check (no apostille but I am going to try anyway)
-Birth Certificate & Apostille

ARG:
-1) Certificado de Domicilio (is there a time deadline on how old it can be?)
-2) Antecedente Penal (Argentine Police background check)
*1 & 2 have been translated and certified by an official Transductor Publico
-Valid US passport
-Photos? (white background, but how many?)

Questions:
A) What am I missing?
B) How many photos do I need (size, background, etc)?
C) Is there a timeline on any of this?

Thank you! And look to this thread in the future for an updated list of exactly what you need to do :)

EDIT: I am leaving Argentina for good in a month but I wanted to post my almost complete instructions for future expats (updated 2011):

How to get temporary residency, a work visa, and a tax number in Argentina

By Sam3G
May, 2011

Introduction

Working en blanco in Argentina is not an easy undertaking. I started this process almost 6 months ago and I am finally going to start work soon. If you have a job lined up at an international company that is responsive, I encourage you to complete as much as you can before arriving in Argentina and make the move. If you are just finishing college and are looking to make some money down here, I would recommend getting a teaching job that pays in cash; getting a work visa is far too complicated, expensive, and frustrating if it is not necessary to your existence in the country! If you are fluent in Spanish, here is a web page that I’ve found with the official requirements. I recommend following the instructions below for a more thorough understanding.

Requirements from the US of A
1.FBI Background Check (2-4 months)
1a. Do this first as it typically takes the longest
1b Complete the steps listed on this page.
1c Fingerprints - Have your fingerprints taken at a local police station using FBI standard fingerprint form. This should preferably be done in the US as most police stations are linked to the 1d FBI database and will not be rejected. It is possible to do this in Argentina but I have heard cases of them being rejected by the FBI.
1e Certification - you must request on the Applicant Information Form to have your background check certified for apostille. This basically means that someone at the FBI signs the document and stamps it with a watermark.
1f Apostille (3 weeks)- Once you receive your background check from the FBI, you need to have it apostilled by the US Department of State Office of Authentications. Send in your background check with cover letter and $8 check.

2 US Passport
2a make sure it’s not going to expire soon
2b copies of every page in passport, front to back (including your most recent entry stamp into Argentina)

3 Birth Certificate with Apostile from your state government
3a New birth certificate can be obtained from the local county office in the county of your birth (Example: Hennepin County Records Office)
3b Bring your birth certificate to the Secretary of State of your state of birth for an apostille (Example: Minnesota Secretary of State)

Requirements from Argentina
Official list of Argentine migraciones requirements
1 Translate your Apostilled Birth Certficate and FBI Background Check
I talked with the head professor at Vamos Spanish and she recommended that we go to theColegio de Traductores to translate. They typically charge per page if I remember correctly. I used a woman named Alicia Annan ([email protected]) but you can find a full list of official traductores at this database.

2 Bring copies of these along with Passport, copies of passport,

3 Certificado Domicilio
3a Go to nearest police station and request one for $10 pesos
3b The police will come to your apartment within a couple days with the certificado

4 Antecendente Final (Argentine Background Check)
Go to www.dnrec.jus.gov.ar to make a turno (reservation) - Calle Piedras 115

5 Precontrato de Trabajo
Your employer first needs to give you a ‘Contract of Work’ before they will give you a visa
Example at: http://www.migraciones.gov.ar/pdf_varios/residencias/modelo_contrato.pdf
This can be complicated and require authorizations from people in the company, so be prepared to wait.

Your birth certificate needs to be translated and legalized (in Argentina).

Unless you are a student (and actually enrolled in school), you do realize that you either need to already have a job in Argentina or a foreign income of $8000 pesos per month, don't you?

If you type temporary residency or visa rentista in the search box you will find a number of threads on the subject that include the detailed information you are looking for.

Thanks Steve,

To clear that up - I am going for my temporary residency, with which I can be hired by a company to obtain a DNI?

Or do you need a DNI to be hired?

I've already had two interviews, and the company is international and has hired Americans before. I don't want to go asking too many questions until I have an offer...

1) Your FBI report would have to be apostilled.

2) I'm not following your post. You don't just "get" temporary residency because you want it. What category are you applying for it under? If you are looking for a work visa, the company will have to sponsor you. So are you applying for a student visa? Or a rentista visa?

sam3g said:
Thanks Steve,

To clear that up - I am going for my temporary residency, with which I can be hired by a company to obtain a DNI?

I've already had two interviews, and the company is international and has hired Americans before. I don't want to go asking too many questions until I have an offer...

You have to have the job before you can apply for temporary residency. Once granted temporary residency, getting the DNI is relatively easy.

Finding an Argentine company willing to sponsor you for residency will be your biggest hurdle, but it sounds like you are on the right track. Until that happens there is no point in going to migraciones.

You will probably need an new FBI report and I believe the Argentine report is only good for 60 days.

sam3g said:
Thanks Steve,

http://www.migraciones.gov.ar/accesible/?tramitacion_temporaria

Don´t know why all this doubts on the requirements, if you go to migraciones they will give you a printed list with all the details. Then once you have everything you get your turno.

nikad said:
Don´t know why all this doubts on the requirements, if you go to migraciones they will give you a printed list with all the details. Then once you have everything you get your turno.

The OP simply didn't understand that he needs the job first.

Even if he has all of the documents required for temporary residency, he still needs a "qualifying" job before he can apply for it. He may also need the have the employer actually "ask permission" from migraciones to hire him.

Is that not correct? (I don't have a work visa, so I have to ask.:rolleyes:)

When you need to have your original birth certificate translated into Spanish in Argentina, only will be accepted if the translation is done by an official translator.

I went to Migraciones with friends of mine some months ago, and the office didnt give at that moment any printout with general instructions.

Back