DNI // Passport number to use a prepaid cell phone card

sebas

Registered
I've just come back to Argentina after an absence of about a year.

I bought a prepaid mobile phone card and in order to use it I have to register and put in my dni // passport number!

Am I alone in thinking this is a bit creepy, I travel a little bit and don't remember being asked in any other country for that information on a prepaid card? Is this the same in all of south america?

What are peoples thoughts on privacy in Argentina, is there some kind of valid reason for them to ask me for that information?

They think it's a way to control crimes being committed using cell phones. DNI # is being asked practically for everything here.

sebas,

If you are concerned about privacy, buy a SIM card from a kiosco. They come preactivated with some random name of an account owner. Everything else works the same otherwise.

Well they take your thumb print at the airport along with scanning your passport.
So I guess once they have your passport number they can match you, your phone, your thumb print and so on.
(sarcasm) I guess if you've got nothing to hide, you've got nothing to fear(/sarcasm)

Btw, a littel secret, which is what I did, just go up to an old lady on the street and tell her how lost you are with how to activate this thing blah blah and ask her if she will help you. She likely will just put her info in it and activate it.

They will not let me post a birthday card to the UK now without my passport. Getting close to the time that they stop you on the street and demand "Papers".

Back