DNI Question

Debora

Registered
Hello Everyone,

I realize this subject of obtaining a DNI has been beaten to death here on previous threads but I couldn't exactly find the answer to my questions.

I'm married to an Argentine. I want to obtain a DNI through him. I am also pregnant and our child will be born here (Bs. As.) in April 2011. I want to know the cost of getting the DNI on my own versus an immigration lawyer.

Also, I've heard you can obtain a DNI "automatically" once you have a child here. The thing is I will need to leave the country to renew my visa one more time in Feb. 2011.

I am beyond tired of leaving the country every 3 months, especially since I am married to an Argentine and I am now pregnant.

I appreciate any input anyone may have!

Debora

If you are married to an Argentine MALE you not onlh have automatic permanent visa but you also have the right to an Argentine PASSPORT.

NOT SO for a male married to an argentine FEMALE.

It works this way.

If you are a foreign male and marry an argentine male or female you get legal residence.

If you are a foreign female and marry an argentine male or female you get legal residence.

If you are a foreign male and marry a female argentine
you DO NOT GET A PASSPORT, but you do get the full residence.

If you are a foreign male and marry and argentine male the law still unclear as far as the passport rights.

If you are a foreign female and marry argentine male you get both passport and legal residence

If you are a foreign female and you marry an argenitne female the law still unclear as far as the passport rights.

I hope ive unswered your questions

UPDATE:

If you are a foreign male who married an argentine male and acquired Legal residence AND then opted for a sex change and have your sex change reflected in you DNI, then you can also get the passport.

similar situation for me but in reverse,meaning i am the guy in the relationship.I applied and had to wait ages for my DNI to come through,about 2 years i think.I am married to my Argentine wife and we have two young boys here..It,s Argentina so don,t expect too much,,,good luck Debs

Usually, it is necessary to have residency before you can get a DNI, but if you want to know if having a baby makes you eligible for a DNI without applying for residency just ask at the RENAPER. Hopefully, one of the lawyers who post here will answer this question.

Even if that isn't possible, you may not have to get another 90 day visa if you start the paperwork for your permanent residency. Foreign criminal background reports can take several months, so do be sure that it's OK to apply for your residency after your visa has expired if you don't expect the report to arrive in time.

A lawyer might cost you $1000 or more USD for the service. ARCA reportedly charges $3200 (USD) for resident visas (retirement visa, e.g.).

The cost of the resident visa is $600 pesos (plus the cost of the paperwork you must provide even if you use a lawyer).

The cost of the DNI is less than $50 pesos.

Other members have posted (in English) lists of the papers that you will need.

Here's the info in Spanish (on the website):

http://www.migraciones.gov.ar/accesible/?nomercosur_permanente

I'm an American married to an Argentine man. A few months after our wedding, I went to immigrations and applied for permanent residency. About 2-3 months later I was officially granted residency and given 2 years to apply for my DNI. I finally applied for the DNI back in February and just received it in the mail a week ago.

The process itself it quite easy. The pain in the rear is getting the paperwork together.

Actually, it's not such an ordeal. I have a few friends here married to Argentine men and it seems the process is not so long anymore. You don't need a lawyer and it should cost a few hundred dollars. Here are the steps:
1. Get your papers in order (marriage certificate, birth certificate, criminal record - both from Argentina and your country - please read the country where you've been living for the last 3 years). All foreign documents translated and apostilled (or legalized in an Argentine consulate if your country has not signed the Hague Convention). You'll need to go to the closest police station for a "certificado de domicilio", an officer will drop by your place in 72 hrs with it. And 2 photos.
2. Make an appointment online for Migraciones.
3. Go to Migraciones with the papers - if everything is in order, you'll get residencia precaria immediately (valid for 90 days) and they'll say you have to wait 60 days to receive your DNI (sent to your home address). An expat wrote on this forum that she got her DNI in 29 days after taking the papers to Migraciones, but I suppose it doesn't always happen like that :)
The costs:
1. No idea what it would cost you to get the papers from your country.
2. Certificado de domicilio: 10 pesos.
Argentine criminal record: 45 pesos if you want it in 24 hours.
Translations: depends on the source language, but if it's English, you could probably find a translator to do it for less than 100 pesos per document (I've heard quotes ranging from 120 to 65 pesos).
Legalizing translations in Argentina: some translation agencies do it for you and deliver the translated documents already legalized. If not, it should cost around 40 pesos per document.
Migraciones fees: 600 pesos "taza de radicacion", 40 pesos for the DNI.
It sounds like some 300 dollars, probably.
The only tricky thing is getting your criminal record if you're from the US, as people keep complaining here about the 2-3 months it took them to get the record from the FBI.
Hope you'll find this info useful.

:) That expat was me!

You need to get your paperwork together as per the above. The day you submit you bring with you 600 pesos for the residency visa and 40 pesos for the DNI. You will be issued a temporary photocopy of your DNI that is valid for 90 days, your permanent one should arrive before then. Mine was the one that arrived in 29 days.

The pain in the butt is the translating of all of your documents -- you need your birth certificate, marriage certificate, antecedentes penales in any country where you lived the last 5 years and here in Argentina, and depending on your country you may or may not have to send these to the Argentine consulate of the issuing country for legalization.

By the way, you don't need to exit the country. As the spouse of an Argentine you have right of abode, so they will be more forgiving -- ie none of these ultima proroga things... but you will have to pay an overstay fine.

If you get your paperwork in order before you next leave the country and submit to Migraciones, you can show this as evidence you're in progress for residency when you leave Argentina and they will waive the fine.

Good luck!

Oh you don't need the CDI

You do need your husbands DNI and a utility bill in his name to show the address you are living at.

word from an embassy because I am getting mine through my spouse is that they are seriously backed up and will probably take forever to get one especially now that summer is upon the hemisphere and everyone takes off.

Well, you should also know that you can apply for citizenship. The main advantage is that the procedure is less bureaucratic. You don´t need your criminal record or the birth certificate. If you have them you don´t need to translate them, neither the passport.

Even the procedure seems to be longer (90 days), for the permanent residency you need to get all the papers together first and this takes time.

You don´t need DNI but you need a lawyer if you don´t have DNI. Please feel free to contact me by PM for further info.

I suggest you read this thread:

http://baexpats.org/expat-life/10837-argentine-citizenship-foreigners-16.html

I also suggest you marry again in this country, it will make many bureaucratic procedures simpler (Inherit for example, to get your spounse medical insurance, to get a pension in case he dies, to represent him in any business or procedure, children are his, not recognition needed, etc.) because you don´t have to evidence your marriage relation, it is a fact.
Regards

Back