DNI without SocSec benefits letter

In order to get a DNI you first must apply for temporary residency.

The temorary residency your Social Security income will qualify you for is known as the Visa Pensionada.

You can get the benefits letter in Spanish from the Special Benefits office of Social Security at US Embassy in Buenos Aires.

It will not require translation but must be "legalized" in Argentina. The office that does the legalization is in Retiro (on Aranales near the Plaza San Martin).

I believe you will need an advance appoitment to get the letter at the US Embassy as well as to get the letter legalized in Retiro

I don´t know the exact name or address of the latter, but I´m sure someone else will provide it..

The temorary residency your Social Security income will qualify you for is known as the Visa Pensionada.
You can get the benefits letter in Spanish from the Special Benefits office of Social Security at US Embassy in Buenos Aires.
It will not require translation but must be "legalized" in Argentina. The office that does the legalization is in Retiro (on Aranales near the Plaza San Martin).
I believe you will need an advance appoitment to get the letter at the US Embassy as well as to get the letter legalized in Retiro
I don´t know the exact name or address of the latter, but I´m sure someone else will provide it..
It's great to see you posting on the forum again!

Thank you. I just haven't had much to say lately. My problem, if it is a problem, is that the embassy will not issue me the letter because my address is in the U. S. and changing that address to Argentina cannot be done on line...so I am trying to avoid calling S.S. Looks like I have to.

steve's back!

Well, as the saying goes 'you got some 'splainin' to do. You missed your wake!
So, based on current experiences, all good, like the 'old days' until you get to the getting the letter from the US Embassy by appointment and letter legalized, by appointment.
The US Embassy Argentina has waffled between 'no replies at all' to 'making an embassy appointment on request via e-mail with an agent's assist', to 'the US Embassy e-mailing the letter to people requesting it under more than one agency's letter head. The US Embassy letter head proved acceptable but the letters that were e-mailed out, instead of being gotten by appointment, under another agency's name were reported having difficulties at the Legalization stage.
Legalization of the letter - Generally not possible with Cancilleria closed and their website not responding. If you present your Embassy Benefits letter at your Immigraciones appointment they will accept it along with your other Radex uploaded documents and then hand it back to you with a letter advising you that you have 90 days to get the Benefits letter legalized. I assume they do this because they know you cannot get it legalized and they're hoping or assuming that the Cancilleria will re-open and provide legalizations and that you'll figure out how to get it done.

OMG Steve is back..! What a blessing to have all his wisdom available again..!
We had feared the worse, motions were proposed for a brigade to travel to his area to inquire about his health..!
So the Numero Uno poster on this Board is back..!
Welcome back..!

Back