Dni

cafeconleche

Registered
Hi

Could somebody tell me what the advantages of getting a DNI are? My husband and I were told that we need to pay a 1000 pesos each to get ours, but we still don't know if/why we need one, apart from being able to book flight tickets at the local rate. We don't intend to settle permanently in Argentina and should be here maybe a couple of years. We currently have Residencia Precaria, does having a DNI help with that in any way?

Thanks!

Who told you it costs $1,000 pesos? You should ONLY take care of getting your DNI yourself, do not get anybody else involved. What type of residence are you going to have? Precaria means you are waiting on your residency transaction to be finalized.

The cost of getting a DNI is $40 pesos from the Registro National de las Personas (RENAPER)

Yeah, whoever told you you need to pay $1000 for a DNI is full of it.

If you plan to stay here for a few years, I do recommend getting a DNI. It makes life easier. You can easily open a bank account, you can sign up for credit cards, you can apply for services in your name (cell phone plans, landline, internet, cable, electric, etc.), buying property is much easier, you can receive packages from OCA (they do not accept passports as proper identification), amongst other reasons.

It is absolutely necessary to have one? Not really. I've been living in Argentina for over 6 years and I just recently received my DNI a few months ago.

cafeconleche said:
Hi

Could somebody tell me what the advantages of getting a DNI are? My husband and I were told that we need to pay a 1000 pesos each to get ours, but we still don't know if/why we need one, apart from being able to book flight tickets at the local rate. We don't intend to settle permanently in Argentina and should be here maybe a couple of years. We currently have Residencia Precaria, does having a DNI help with that in any way?

Thanks!

Once you receive your certificado of tempporary residence at migraciones you should make an appointment with RENAPR to get your DNI. It's required by law (though nothing bad happens if you don't have one). Here's the link: http://www.mininterior.gov.ar/trami...bMenu=tramDNI&idNameSubMenuDer=tramDNIRenaper

Until early 2010 it could take a year to get the DNI and just going to apply was a nightmare (people lined up outside the old location on 25 de Mayo at 3 or 4 in the morning...some even selling the numbers for a turno). For a number of months they completely stopped taking applications from foreigners. I know one USAian who never got one. He was hoping he could "import " a car duty free before he got his DNI (but he was wrong).

That has all changed. You can request a turno on line and you will get amazing service (especially for Argentina). David is correct; the cost is $40 pesos. Unless something has changed, all you need is a copy of your birth certificate (I presented a fotocopia of mine that had the legalized translation and was also "legalized" (certified) by an Argentine escribano), photocopies of your passport (I think the info page and the page with your entry stamp is enough...I just made phototcopies of thee translation of my passport that I had submitted at migraciones), and the certificado of temporary residency from migraciones that you will (hopefully) receive soon.

If things are the same now as they were when I received my temporary residence in Argentina, migraciones does not enter anything in your passport that shows your status (I believe they do if you apply at a foreign consulate). You might have to pay the overstay fine of $300 pesos if you leave the country (though you might avoid this if you present your certificado from migraciones). I traveled to the USA and back using mine while waiting for my DNI and I was not charge the overstay fee at the airport (but the airline reps had to have a mini-meeting about it before I received my boarding pass).

It would be interesting to know "who" said they would get your DNIs for $1000 pesos (each?). A woman who is considering moving here with her husband and two children was recently quoted a figure from an "agency" of $2500 US DOLLARS to get four DNIs! That's $10,000 pesos (or $2500 pesos per person). Yes, the quote for getting the DNIs ONLY!!!

Thanks for the information everyone.

The company where my husband works uses an agency to assist with all the migraciones work. They were the ones who helped us get the Residencia Precaria when we arrived in Buenos Aires and applied for the DNIs for us, but are asking for 1000 pesos as payment for the DNIs. The annoying thing is that they say they have our DNIs now but will not give them to us unless we pay. I wish I had known earlier that it was a relatively painless (and cheap!) process to get the DNI.

I'm not sure what kind of residence we will be getting. We received our Residencia Precaria in August and it was renewed for three months more in December. We have to go to Migraciones again on March 1st.

cafeconleche said:
Thanks for the information everyone.

The company where my husband works uses an agency to assist with all the migraciones work. They were the ones who helped us get the Residencia Precaria when we arrived in Buenos Aires and applied for the DNIs for us, but are asking for 1000 pesos as payment for the DNIs. The annoying thing is that they say they have our DNIs now but will not give them to us unless we pay. I wish I had known earlier that it was a relatively painless (and cheap!) process to get the DNI.

I'm not sure what kind of residence we will be getting. We received our Residencia Precaria in August and it was renewed for three months more in December. We have to go to Migraciones again on March 1st.

That sounds like BS to me if not BM. I could be wrong, but I believe you need the certificado of residencia temporaria form migraciones to apply for the DNI. Is there any chance the "agency" already retrieved your certificates of residency and actually has your DNIs?

I don't think the RENAPER will process a DNI based on residency precaria and I'm amazed that your agency didn't tell you the type of visas you have applied for or may have already been granted.

If your company won't pay for them you may not have to either. You can go to migraciones and get new certificates for $50 pesos (price in Oct 2009). It takes about a week for the certificates to be available. I hope that you would then be able to take those certificates to the RENAPER and apply for replacement DNIs.

Steve, yes the "agency" (I appreciate the quotes!) says they have the DNIs already. We do have our Residencia Precaria papers though, is that the certificate of residency that you mean? I guess if we decide we do need/want them then re-apply for the replacement DNIs ourselves?

But I was curious as to whether the DNI is really necessary to me right now, as I have a furnished apartment with landline and a bank account already. From what McCaffa says it looks like it's not really essential.

cafeconleche said:
Steve, yes the "agency" (I appreciate the quotes!) says they have the DNIs already. We do have our Residencia Precaria papers though, is that the certificate of residency that you mean? I guess if we decide we do need/want them then re-apply for the replacement DNIs ourselves?

But I was curious as to whether the DNI is really necessary to me right now, as I have a furnished apartment wit coandline and a bank account already. From what McCaffa says it looks like it's not really essential.

We have been here 2.5 years, we also have the apt, phone, bank accounts, etc etc like you and still don't have our DNIs. The "agency" is still working on my DH's DNI. But I've told them to stop working on mine. That I will do it myself. We have never been required to give our DNIs for anything yet.

We will probably leave before we get the DNI. :rolleyes:

Its always useful to get permanent residency even if you don't plan to settle down in Argentina. Who knows what the future holds for you.

DNI if nothing is a great id card which can be carried at all times in Argentina or in any Mercosur country as a means of identification.

Its always useful to get permanent residency even if you don't plan to settle down in Argentina. Who knows what the future holds for you. *Not implying that DNI is a way to permanent residency though*

DNI if nothing is a great id card which can be carried at all times in Argentina or in any Mercosur country as a means of identification.

Back