DNI

KTex

Registered
Is it possible to get a DNI before you live in Argentina. My wife is an Argentine citizen. We plan to buy property there and I would like to have a bank account there. Is it possible?

Unless the Argentine embassy informs you that your wife being an Argentine citizen gives you an advantage somehow. Unlikely, you'll need to apply for Residency once you're in Argentina and then, based on my experience recently, be ready for that to take a month or more, and then getting a DNI, month(s) more.

I've been waiting my DNI for months. Trips to Immigration Bldg 6: We can't help you Trip to Center of the National Immigration: Hipolito Yrigoyen 952: Everything delayed, come back in 30 days, Multiple trips to Jujuy 468: Nothing, nothing, nothing but a slip of paper with No. Negative and ID Tramite (no indication of what to do with those), Trip to Renaper office: We only help people who have a DNI. However after seeing someone's post on FB BA Expats I got the impression there's a place to track your DNI. After calling the 'never take my call' number for Reclamos 0800-9999364 I did hear the recorded message referring me to the gob.ar website. I got to this page: https://www.argentina.gob.ar/interior/dni Which has a link o this page: https://www.argentina.gob.ar/seguir-el-estado-de-tramite-del-dni On this page there's a link to En el sitio del Correo Argentino - following that link you are taken to Correo Argentina's website tracking page, where you can Ingresá el número de trámite. Well, finally I found a use for that ID Tramite given to me at Jujuy 468, entered the number and clicked Consulta which took me to a page showing the recent history of a packet entering the system and 2 missed delivery attempts and Devuelto al Remitente - which I take to mean it was returned to somewhere and maybe it's gone to Jujuy 468. Supposedly after 2 failed delivery attempts it goes there. Vamos a ver! Forgive the pedantic description, but If you're a someone like me unable to make sense of wtf is my DNI, I think you'll appreciate these breadcrumbs.

I've been waiting my DNI for months. Trips to Immigration Bldg 6: We can't help you Trip to Center of the National Immigration: Hipolito Yrigoyen 952: Everything delayed, come back in 30 days, Multiple trips to Jujuy 468: Nothing, nothing, nothing but a slip of paper with No. Negative and ID Tramite (no indication of what to do with those), Trip to Renaper office: We only help people who have a DNI. However after seeing someone's post on FB BA Expats I got the impression there's a place to track your DNI. After calling the 'never take my call' number for Reclamos 0800-9999364 I did hear the recorded message referring me to the gob.ar website. I got to this page: https://www.argentina.gob.ar/interior/dni Which has a link o this page: https://www.argentina.gob.ar/seguir-el-estado-de-tramite-del-dni On this page there's a link to En el sitio del Correo Argentino - following that link you are taken to Correo Argentina's website tracking page, where you can Ingresá el número de trámite. Well, finally I found a use for that ID Tramite given to me at Jujuy 468, entered the number and clicked Consulta which took me to a page showing the recent history of a packet entering the system and 2 missed delivery attempts and Devuelto al Remitente - which I take to mean it was returned to somewhere and maybe it's gone to Jujuy 468. Supposedly after 2 failed delivery attempts it goes there. Vamos a ver! Forgive the pedantic description, but If you're a someone like me unable to make sense of wtf is my DNI, I think you'll appreciate these breadcrumbs.
What a nightmare. Delivery of DNI is requires someone in the mailing address to sign off for it. Are you super positive you used the address you are normally at? I ask this because some lawyers/processors sometimes use their own addresses or can even get them mixed up. My wife DNI was quite promptly delivered once her residency was approved.

Unless the Argentine embassy informs you that your wife being an Argentine citizen gives you an advantage somehow. Unlikely, you'll need to apply for Residency once you're in Argentina and then, based on my experience recently, be ready for that to take a month or more, and then getting a DNI, month(s) more.
You can only apply for residence once you enter the country as a tourist, and you obtain what is called a "precaria" residence which is a temporary residence pending the approval of your formal one. You don't mention whether you have considered applying for Argentine citizenship (by reason of marriage with a native Argentine citizen and/or having a son or daughter with one). In such case, I would assume, there would be a lengthy Argentine consulate procedure vs a much faster procedure if you did it all here in Argentina.

What a nightmare. Delivery of DNI is requires someone in the mailing address to sign off for it. Are you super positive you used the address you are normally at? I ask this because some lawyers/processors sometimes use their own addresses or can even get them mixed up. My wife DNI was quite promptly delivered once her residency was approved.
Well, you may of put your finger on it. After everything else was complete in applying residency I changed apartments in the same building, same apartment # different floor and I gave the encargado a copy of my Precaria so he could greet the Correo Argentino and sign off. He seemed to think that Correo Argentino would leave a notice on the box of the building. So maybe the postman rang the old apartment bell and got someone and negated I was living there. However they didn't attempt any delivery until end of last week - months after the Precaria was issued, so not promptly delivered to be sure in any case. I went to Jujuy today where customarily "they don't know anything", but the woman at the computer was forced to acknowledge the attempted delivery and that my DNI was sent back to the "fabricant" - No other details or other actions to be taken, period. Told to return in 15 days, as it's expected to now be sent now from the maker of DNI to 468 Jujuy.

Well, you may of put your finger on it. After everything else was complete in applying residency I changed apartments in the same building, same apartment # different floor and I gave the encargado a copy of my Precaria so he could greet the Correo Argentino and sign off. He seemed to think that Correo Argentino would leave a notice on the box of the building. So maybe the postman rang the old apartment bell and got someone and negated I was living there. However they didn't attempt any delivery until end of last week - months after the Precaria was issued, so not promptly delivered to be sure in any case. I went to Jujuy today where customarily "they don't know anything", but the woman at the computer was forced to acknowledge the attempted delivery and that my DNI was sent back to the "fabricant" - No other details or other actions to be taken, period. Told to return in 15 days, as it's expected to now be sent now from the maker of DNI to 468 Jujuy.
I see. Just please note that I meant delivery was prompt after the ***permanent*** residence (not the precaria) was approved. She never got a DNI while holding just a precaria.

I see. Just please note that I meant delivery was prompt after the ***permanent*** residence (not the precaria) was approved. She never got a DNI while holding just a precaria.
Are you saying "Permanent" residency, as in I renewed my temporary residency 2+ times and then was given permanent residency? Or what you call permanent was document you receive after receiving notice of the "Resueldo" where you're confirmed to have a one year temporary residency?

Thanks Artisans for these posts, especially for those of us like you who are also waiting for our DNI. When you say number de tramite are you talking about what follows, something I received from Migraciones :En fecha 20/06/2019 el Sr./Sra. (my name) ha registrado su solicitud de trámite de residencia bajo el número de orden: (then a 6 digit number here). I ask because when I click on that link and put in my numero de tramite it tells me "No se encontraron resultados." Does that just mean that they have not finished processing my new DNI and Correo Argentino doesn't have it yet, or am I putting in the wrong number? Thanks, again.

Back