DNI

Martin1677

Registered
I applied for DNI in September 2020 and have still not received the DNI card. Meantime, I have been renewing the Precaria every three months. In order to get a permanent DNI, I am told that one needs to spend 6 months out of each year for two consecutive years.

My question is: When does the six month requirement each year for two consecutive begin? Is it from the day the Precaria was first issued (in my instance Sept. 2020) or from the day the DNI card will be issued?

I applied for DNI in September 2020 and have still not received the DNI card. Meantime, I have been renewing the Precaria every three months. In order to get a permanent DNI, I am told that one needs to spend 6 months out of each year for two consecutive years.

If the DNI you are waiting for is based on an application for temporary residency, you will have to wait three years to apply for permanent residency.

To maintain temporary residency it is necessary to spend at least six months in the country each year. If one does not, the temporary resdiency cannot be renewed.

You can request the cambio de categoira to permanent residency on the third renewal of the temporary residnecy (after three years of temporary residency, not two).

To maintain permanent residency it is necessary to set foot on Argentine soil at least once every two years.

My question is: When does the six month requirement each year for two consecutive begin? Is it from the day the Precaria was first issued (in my instance Sept. 2020) or from the day the DNI card will be issued?

In my case it was the date of the precaria, but that was almost 15 years ago.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for your valuable feedback. I have been getting conflicting answers as to when the 6 month a year clock starts. Is it from the day the precaria is issued or the day the temporary DNI card is issued? When I asked an immigration official some years ago, I was told the clock starts to tick from the day the Precaria is issued. When I addressed this same question to the same official, this time I am told it is from the day the DNI card is issued. It is so confusing and there is no literature or website where the procedure is explained in detail.

This question was asked (by me) a year or two back on this board and the answer was the date of the precaria. Which makes sense when you think about it. As you are probably aware, people in Migraciones often have very little real knowledge and will just say anything to make you go away. Others can comment on your question, but I am almost certain they will confirm that answer is the clock starts ticking from the date of the precaria.

Thank you, and I am sure you are right because I got the precaria on Sept. 29, 2020, but still haven't received the card and I left the country on April 21, 2021, assuming I put in my 6 months for the first year. By that assumption, I must need to spend another six mopnths between Sept. 29, 2021 and Sept. 29, 2022. Otherwise, if the clock starts the day the temporary DNI card is issued, I will be out that much time and that wouldn't seem fair.

As was also explained on another thread, a DNI is apparently a kind of an optional add-on. It seems you don't even technically need to obtain it at all (although obviously, it is very handy to have), but could just carry around the other document if you ever needed to prove your residency.

I suggest you go to the DNM building and ask for a vista of your file so, you know for sure, what is going on.

As was also explained on another thread, a DNI is apparently a kind of an optional add-on. It seems you don't even technically need to obtain it at all (although obviously, it is very handy to have), but could just carry around the other document if you ever needed to prove your residency.

Is the "other document" you mention the preciaria? If so, doesn't the precaria have an expiration date which makes it necessary for it to be renewed until the DNI is issued?

With the present system, isn't the DNI (eventually) issued automatically and is not therefore optional?

(As compared to the good old days when it was necessary for foreigners to take their precaria to the registro to apply for the DNI separately ...only when they were accepting applications, which could be suspended for months at a time.)

Yes, the precaria expires every three months and I contact the DNI office to get it renewed. When I aspplied for DNI, I was given a precaria (good for three months) and was told the same is renewable until I get the DNI.

It would be great if I could get a formal confirmation from the DNI office on when the clock for the required 6 months stay per year begin -- the day the precaria is issued or from the day the DNI is issued? I wrote to the DNI office in BA but never got a response. I tried writing again, still no response.

I must admit, I don't really understand the OP's reference to a precaria. I would have thought if he has been granted a 12-months temporary residency, the question of a precaria (which he would have had prior to being granted temporary residency while his application was being considered) would have disappeared.

Why he has to renew a precaria every three months on his way to a DNI when to apply for a DNI he must surely have temporary residency I do not know. (That's why I used the term "other document", purposefully avoiding the word precaria.)

Perhaps there is more to this than meets the eye. I wonder if the OP is mistakenly thinking he is entitled to a DNI, when all he in fact all he has had since Sept 2020 is the precaria they issue when they have received the application for temporary residency but before they had decided whether to grant that residency. It may be that he simply has a precaria residency and is not entitled to a DNI at all (and his 12 months to complete 183 days hasn't even begun yet).

Back