do any of you folks play cricket?

HowardinBA

Registered
my team in Belgrano are looking for players.PM me if you are interested,thanks Howard:)

Its this Cricket that snobbish english game in which you sit on the grass with a can of beer in your hand beside a bucket with full of them meanwhile you are watching how slowly the grass is growing...until someone scores something on the board?

Lucas said:
Its this Cricket that snobbish english game in which you sit on the grass with a can of beer in your hand beside a bucket with full of them meanwhile you are watching how slowly the grass is growing...until someone scores something on the board?

no that's Lawn Watching you're thinking of. Quite a different sport.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawn_Watching

Was actually an Olympic Sport between 1908 and 1924.

Little known fact: the guy who was the focus of the Chariots Of Fire film, the one who wouldn't run on a Sunday...he won the Lawn Watching bronze medal that year.

esllou said:
no that's Lawn Watching you're thinking of. Quite a different sport.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawn_Watching

Was actually an Olympic Sport between 1908 and 1924.

Little known fact: the guy who was the focus of the Chariots Of Fire film, the one who wouldn't run on a Sunday...he won the Lawn Watching bronze medal that year.

Gee! I don't know but something was telling me that Cricket have to do somehow with that part of this sport. What happens after 1924 they got bored or run out of competitors?

I hope that HowardinBA is not the Howard I was thinking of.

Lucas said:
(Lawn watching...) What happens after 1924 they got bored or run out of competitors?

The 1924 match was really quite interesting because, due to a technicality, it never actually concluded and, according to the rules no new match may commence while another is still live.

It happened like this: the bronze was awarded, as esllou described, and the game was now neck-and-neck between the two contestants who were destined to win silver and gold. But three weeks into the final phase, developers moved onto the site and errected an estate of three-bedroom semi-detatched houses (with garages - which were quite modern features at the time) and this unexpected turn of events threw the match into confusion. They'd already awarded the bronze so they couldn't abandon it as a draw, see? And the whole Lawn-watching world plunged into a state of disarray from which it never recovered.

I see, interesting match that one always I wondered why the game itself is played by Indians and Pakistanis this explain a lot among other things.

The definition of Cricket as explained to a foreigner--

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in. Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out.

When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out. Sometimes you get men still in and not out.

When a man goes out to go
in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in. There are two men called umpires who stay all out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out.

When both sides have been in and all the men have been out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those
who are not out, that is the end of the game!
Simple!

That's simple enough to understand with a few beers under the belt it make all things more clear, thanks for that.

Back