Do argentinos consider a porteño accent more prestigious?

Every Argentine, that I know, from the provinces quickly adopted the Porteño accent upon moving to Baires. While they felt their Spanish was much more neutral, they made the change so that the locals (especially employers) would not think they were "hicks" from the countryside. However, I do know from personal experience, that when Porteños travel for business in much of Latin America they are chided for their accent.

I have traveled, worked, and lived in Latin America for over 50 years. IMHO, the educated speakers in Mexico, Ecuador, and Peru speak about the most neutral type of Latin American Spanish. I sent my kids to those countries to clean up (neutralize) their Spanish accents and learn the more normative "tu" verb conjugations.

Porteño Spanish has been so heavily influenced by the successive waves of mass immigration, especially from Italy, that it is quite unique.

Every Argentine, that I know, from the provinces quickly adopted the Porteño accent upon moving to Baires. While they felt their Spanish was much more neutral, they made the change so that the locals (especially employers) would not think they were "hicks" from the countryside. However, I do know from personal experience, that when Porteños travel for business in much of Latin America they are chided for their accent.

I have traveled, worked, and lived in Latin America for over 50 years. IMHO, the educated speakers in Mexico, Ecuador, and Peru speak about the most neutral type of Latin American Spanish. I sent my kids to those countries to clean up (neutralize) their Spanish accents and learn the more normative "tu" verb conjugations.

Porteño Spanish has been so heavily influenced by the successive waves of mass imhºmigration, especially from Italy, that it is quite unique.

Very true a new language developed with the use of Vos... and accentuating the verbs on the last syllable..? like vos Sabès with accent on the "e" instead of the "a" not in the Spanish Grammar..

also the use of the Imperative of the Verbs like Comè , saltà mirà a form not used elsewhere unless you are giving an order...imperative...

Very true a new language developed with the use of Vos...

Except that the Colegio Español etymology has it going back as far as 1450 (no idea when usage fell out of favor in Spain). It would seem the use of vos is old, not new.

Except that the Colegio Español etymology has it going back as far as 1450 (no idea when usage fell out of favor in Spain). It would seem the use of vos is old, not new.

The use of Vos y/o Vosotros in ancient Spanish, as you surely must know, was used in a different conjugation, Vos Sois (2nd, person plural) , definitely not Vos Sos, as in Porteño slang... as in Vos Teneis .. not Vos Tenes...?? (Sos and Tenes are local creations??)

The use of Vos y/o Vosotros in ancient Spanish, as you surely must know, was used in a different conjugation, Vos Sois (2nd, person plural) , definitely not Vos Sos, as in Porteño slang... as in Vos Teneis .. not Vos Tenes...?? (Sos and Tenes are local creations??)

There was singular usage also. I'll dig up the reference when I have time to find it again. Meanwhile....https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voseo (in English).

This came up years ago, when I saw El laberinto del fauno, and the Faun uses vos as would an Argentino. I found that very interesting, but it was pointed out to me that, since he was an ancient, some of his speech was old school.

There was singular usage also. I'll dig up the reference when I have time to find it again. Meanwhile....https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voseo (in English).

This came up years ago, when I saw El laberinto del fauno, and the Faun uses vos as would an Argentino. I found that very interesting, but it was pointed out to me that, since he was an ancient, some of his speech was old school.

Vos Sois is singular (Old Castellano 1452)... An example: Vos Majestad Sois mi Rey... also Vosotros Sois Caballeros... Old spanish circa 1452 during Fernando Aragon & and Isabel de Castilla...

(This is way beyond the interest and Scope of this forum)

Last edited:
Very true a new language developed with the use of Vos... and accentuating the verbs on the last syllable..? like vos Sabès with accent on the "e" instead of the "a" not in the Spanish Grammar..

also the use of the Imperative of the Verbs like Comè , saltà mirà a form not used elsewhere unless you are giving an order...imperative...

The accents should be the other way, right? Like Comé, Mirá.

True but my tablet didn't have that option.....:D:D ..As we know the Agudo accent doesn't exist in Spanish, solamente el acento Grave...!
Comé , Mirá , Saltá.. ( now from my Notebook)
The tilde Ñ as in Ñandu and dieresis as in pedigüeño, are not accents?

Last edited:

True but my tablet didn't have that option.....:D:D ..As we know the Agudo accent doesn't exist in Spanish, solamente el acento Grave...! circunflexo tampoco...
Comé , Mirá , Saltá.. ( now from my Notebook)
The tilde Ñ as in Ñandu and dieresis " as in pedigüeño, are accents?

Vos Sois is singular (Old Castellano 1452)... An example: Vos Majestad Sois mi Rey... also Vosotros Sois Caballeros... Old spanish circa 1452 during Fernando Aragon & and Isabel de Castilla...

(This is way beyond the interest and Scope of this forum)

And my wife reminded me that they use vos in Catalan.

Back