Do banks ask for your ssn?

SecretShopper

Registered
As a temp resident without Argentine income I know it's an uphill battle to open an account. But just wondering if the banks here try to get your US SSN if they do work with you.

As a temp resident without Argentine income I know it's an uphill battle to open an account. But just wondering if the banks here try to get your US SSN if they do work with you.
Many banks will ask by default if you're a tax resident of another country, especially when your DNI starts with 9. Even my banks in the US and Canada have started asking this too, I think it's part of the broader OECD banking regulations agreement, but specifically for my SSN, no.

Many banks will ask by default if you're a tax resident of another country, especially when your DNI starts with 9. Even my banks in the US and Canada have started asking this too, I think it's part of the broader OECD banking regulations agreement, but specifically for my SSN, no.

Your banks in North America are asking WHAT?

you need a DNI. period.
Many years ago, you could occasionally sneak in with a passport number.
they never cared about SSN.
but nowadays, banks, just like Mercado Libre, require a photo upload of you DNI before you can do any online banking, and will not even open an account without you haveing one.

Yes. they will ask your SSN if your'e a US citizen. If you don't provide it, you don't get an account.

This is true. I was referring to an earlier time, when they were not requireing SSN. But they have, indeed, tightend up on requiring DNI's as well.

The online banks (brubank and wilobank) can be opened without my SSN correct? I only want to be able to deposit pesos and use a debit card so these would work well.

The online banks (brubank and wilobank) can be opened without my SSN correct? I only want to be able to deposit pesos and use a debit card so these would work well.

I just tried to get an brubank account with my dni but when they saw my passport they requested I fill out all the forms which included a form asking for ssn.

Back