Do foreigners have to pay tax if they sell a house they bought here?

angelskywalker

Registered
I was wondering if anyone knows about the current legal and taxes rules when it comes to sell a flat here when you don't have your papers.
1- Can you sell it?
2- Do you have to pay tax? if so, how much?
3- If you sell it cheaper than you bought it, do they tax you?
4- How can you take your money out of the country?
5- Is it a good time to do it?
6- Being a european makes things easier? or more difficult?

I'd really appreciate some info.

Thank you.

1-2-3 : What's your resident status (Edit : you said you don't have your papers, hence you are likely not a resident : did you pay taxes every year here though ? There's a special tax that considers houses owned by foreigners are rented) ?
4- using casas de cambio for instance, or finding an intermediate solution with someone you could really trust (this forum can help I guess).
5- Not the worst time afaik, furthermore considering that selling in USD is the right time since it will keep strong for some time before eventually plundging when the US hyperinflation will start in a few years -just a personal hypothesis though- (depends too what you intend to do with the proceeds of the sale : if you're from the UK and intend to buy a house there, it's a perfect timing of course).
6- Strictly no difference as if you were American

Resident status? still going to Uruguay every three months for the visa.
Tax? the only one paid so far is ABL (council tax)
Why is the best time to do it?
The decision has to be made before May this year. So I really really need some help and I'm sure an accountant or a lawyer here would charge a fortune for that. Anyone there who went through the same experience?
Thank you

angelskywalker said:
The decision has to be made before May this year. So I really really need some help and I'm sure an accountant or a lawyer here would charge a fortune for that. Anyone there who went through the same experience?
Thank you

If you are therefore a foreigner and the only taxes you paid until now are the ABL, then I must say your situation is not the best, to say the very least.
I hope you own this flat since not a long time ago.

angelskywalker said:
So I really really need some help and I'm sure an accountant or a lawyer here would charge a fortune for that. Anyone there who went through the same experience?
Thank you

Being afraid to get professional help is a common, but horrible mistake. Maybe you should talk to 2, 3, or 4 people, but you should talk to a pro, because you owe a lot of back taxes and will need to have someone helping you through AFIP's gallows.

angelskywalker said:
I was wondering if anyone knows about the current legal and taxes rules when it comes to sell a flat here when you don't have your papers.
1- Can you sell it?
2- Do you have to pay tax? if so, how much?
3- If you sell it cheaper than you bought it, do they tax you?
4- How can you take your money out of the country?
5- Is it a good time to do it?
6- Being a european makes things easier? or more difficult?

I'd really appreciate some info.

Thank you.

1. Yes, you can sell it but you'll still need to reslove all your tax issues and get approval from AFIP after you find a buyer.
2. Please refer to the thread I link to below.
3. I've never heard of a tax on capital losses. If you sell it for more than you paid there is no capital gains tax.
4. It can be done through Banco Piano and other Casas de Cambio.
5. If you need the money and can find a buyer willing to pay a price you are willing to accept.
6. It doesn't matter. A foreigner is a foreigner. (EU, UK, AU, USA, etc.) The same rules apply to all nonresident foreigners (without a DNI).

angelskywalker said:
Thank you

You will probably find his thread interesting:

Property tax in Argentina?

If you hope to sell (or list) your property before May, you should be aware that its going to take two or three months to get "permission" from AFIP to "close" the sale after you accept an offer. I have been vey happy with my accountant. I can send you his contact info. You don't need a lawyer.

steveinbsas said:
You will probably find his thread interesting:

Property tax in Argentina?

If you hope to sell (or list) your property before May, you should be aware that its going to take two or three months to get permission from AFIP to "close" the sale after you accept an offer. I have been vey happy with my accountant. I can send you his contact info. You don't need a lawyer.

To the OP : Steve is likely right. You might in fact need an accountant rather than a lawyer. It depends on your own personal situation which we don't know about (value of the property, since how long you own it, etc.).
In any case, you will need to spend.

French jurist said:
To the OP : Steve is likely right. You might in fact need an accountant rather than a lawyer. It depends on your own personal situation which we don't know about (value of the property, since how long you own it, etc.).
In any case, you will need to spend.

When I was paying my taxes for the first time and providing my accountant with all the information, I asked him if my documentation would be acceptable to AFIP.

He smiled and said, "I am AFIP."

You don't need a lawyer to pay taxes, only to defend you if you are ever charged with criminal tax fraud.

Find an accountant. In Argentina, everything can be fixed. Properties sold, money in, money out, taxes paid, it's all just slight of hand. You will be fine.
Good timing.

Back