Do Gringo Pensioners Have To Pay Taxes In Argentina?

Edmund Pickett

Registered
I don't earn any money in Argentina. I'm retired but live here six months per year and I'm married to an Argentine. I have residency.
Lately every time my wife goes to the bank she runs into some tramite where they insist that they (the bank) need to know my local tax number. I don't have one and don't want one. I don't foresee any situation where I would earn money in Argentina. I have a DNI from my residency. Now after her latest trip to the bank they want to know what my NIF in the US is. This is apparently a personal tax ID number in Argentina and they think the US must have something equivalent. I suppose the US equivalent would be the Social Security number but I don't really want to give that out. I don't like to give it out in the US but here? No way.
I have no objection to getting a local tax number as long as I don't have to pay tax on my pension income. I have Social Security and a private pension, both in the US.
So my question is: if I get a CUIT or CUIL, whichever is appropriate, will Argentina want to tax my US pensions?
My wife is a monotributista and she asked her accountant but got no answer on this.

If you get a CUIL ( equivalent to your SSN ) that should suffice.

I am not sure what happens with pensions / social security, I do know that Argentina and the US do not have any double taxation agreements so technically you are taxed on your global income and assets.

Just a few weeks ago I read on the newspaper that Arg and the US are signing agreements to share tax information. I would just get a CUIL from Anses and will just provide that.

In Argentina, pensioners that earn over a certain amount are subject to income tax.

I don't think they are trying to get you to pay any taxes, do you have a joint account? More information of the circumstances when the bank asks for your CUIL would be helpful.

Pensioners in Argentina use CUIL numbers for banking, etc.

I am not an expert, just sharing what I know.

I don't earn any money in Argentina. I'm retired but live here six months per year and I'm married to an Argentine. I have residency...if I get a CUIT or CUIL, whichever is appropriate, will Argentina want to tax my US pensions?

If your monthly pension exceeds the income tax threshold in Argentina (I'm not sure what the current amount is), I think it would be taxable in Argentina unless you are in Argentina less than six months of the year. That should make you exempt from paying any income tax in Argentina on your pension income. An accountant who specializes in taxes for extranjeros is the one to ask. You can also do some research on line.

PS: If you have the new DNI look at the back. You should see that you already have a CUIL/CUIT.

Similar situation to me. I also have the permanent residency DNI. Although I've not reached UK retirement age I'm 'retired' as I don't officially earn here therefore I'm not registered as a tax payer. Having said that I don't have a bank account here either because given the charges there's no point in me having one. My finances are all UK based so have nothing to do with Argentina.

I must have the old DNI as I see no CUIL/CUIT number.

Similar situation to me. I also have the permanent residency DNI. Although I've not reached UK retirement age I'm 'retired' as I don't officially earn here therefore I'm not registered as a tax payer. Having said that I don't have a bank account here either because given the charges there's no point in me having one. My finances are all UK based so have nothing to do with Argentina.

If you are living in Argentina for more than six months of the year I believe that you are responsible for declaring your world wide income to AFIP if it exceeds the individual tax threshold, regardless of where the income is generated. If you don't have a bank account here I wonder why the Argentine bank is asking for your NIF (numero identidad fiscal?), unless your name is on the Argentine bank account that your wife is using and/or you are depositing your pension income into her account. Perhaps it's just SOP because you are married.

I must have the old DNI as I see no CUIL/CUIT number.

If your DNI is a little book, then you have the old DNI and they never had the CUIL or CUIT. If you have a tarjeta that expires in 15 years, then you have the new DNI and others have posted here that they never registered with AFIP or ANSES, but their new DNIs came with the number on the back of the card.

The new DNI is now "required" by law.

PS: It's OK to be "afuera" (outside) the system of AFIP if you have nothing to declare. If living outside of Argentina exempts you from paying income tax on your foreign income I suggest you check to be sure about the exact number of days past which you would be liable to pay the income tax.

Yeah I meant similar situation as in retired and not earning any income in Argentina rather than someone was asking me for my tax number.

I have the new DNI valid until 2025...the little maroon book as well as the laminated card but I don't see any CUIL/CUIT number anywhere.

A good friend who is a european living here for many years now says he was recently informed that he owes the equivalent of US$150,000 in unpaid taxes. I have a small pension from the states, really not enough to live on here, so now I'm wondering how much they will want to take?

by the way, I didn't just join. I've been a member for 5 years. why does it say that?

A good friend who is a european living here for many years now says he was recently informed that he owes the equivalent of US$150,000 in unpaid taxes.

What is the status of your friend?

Is he a resident with a DNI or just a overstaying tourist?

Does he earn any money here?

Did he declare his pension and income if he ever became a resident?

Does he pay taxes elesewhere?

does he have a bank account and credit card here?

A good friend who is a european living here for many years now says he was recently informed that he owes the equivalent of US$150,000 in unpaid taxes. I have a small pension from the states, really not enough to live on here, so now I'm wondering how much they will want to take?

by the way, I didn't just join. I've been a member for 5 years. why does it say that?

How many years has he been living here? Please specify " small " pension. Right now, a salary or pension over 25000 net pays income tax ( if married ) and anything over 19000 ( singles ). Who contacted your friend about this " debt " ? If he owns properties it could be Bienes Personales what they are claiming ( tax on assets )

How many years has he been living here? Please specify " small " pension. Right now, a salary or pension over 25000 net pays income tax ( if married ) and anything over 19000 ( singles ). Who contacted your friend about this " debt " ? If he owns properties it could be Bienes Personales what they are claiming ( tax on assets )

If an individual receives a monthly pension income over $19.000 or a couple receives over $25.000 per month do they pay tax only on the amount above those figures or do they pay the tax on the entire amount (from 1 peso)? Are there different (progressive) tax rates (20% or 35% for example) or just one?

I imagine anyone who is about to apply for a visa rentista or pensionado will want to know before they take the plunge.
emo32.gif

PS: The last income tax threshold I knew of was $8.500 per month for a single person. Do you know when the amount was increased to $19.000 and if there were any other increases before the jump to $19.000, or was this like the increase in the income requirement for the visas from $8.000 to $30.000 in one giant leap?

Back