do i pay IVA when i buy real estate?

expat0tree

Registered
so i'm about to buy an old galpon for my mushroom operation and i was prepared to pay 3% comission but now the realtor tells me that there is also IVA to pay on top of everything. shouldn't this already be included in the offer price?

thanks

You will be charged IVA (21%) on the real estate commission and the escribano's fees as well. They are never included in the "offer price" which is paid to the seller. You shouldn't have to pay IVA on that.

PS: Be sure to insist on an official factura (invoice) from both the agent and the escribano.

Last edited:
You will be charged IVA (21%) on the real estate commission and the escribano's fees as well. They are never included in the "offer price" which is paid to the seller.

Be sure to insist on an official factura (invoice) from both the agent and the escribano.

ah good know.

and can i make "reserva" at the escribano? i'm asking this because my escribano is the one who is going to tell me if the documentation is up to date before i commit any money. or do have to make that reservation at the realtor's office before my escribano can check the documents? i don't want to end up in a situation where i made a reserva and then have to take it back because the title was fishy

You will make the "reserva" (aka the offer) and pay a deposit with the real estate agent. It should be a small percentage of the offered price.

Usually agents like to ask for the amount they will receive in commissions (including the IVA). The buyer usually pays 30% at the boleto and the balance at the escritura.

I believe your escribano can "check the documents" before you pay anything to the agent if the agent provides the legal description of the property.

The escribano can then order the informes (report) from an agrimensor. It will show the name of the titular de dominion (owner) and if the title is unencumbered.

If the title is clear you should proceed to the escritura as soon as possible. If there is any delay the escribano should be able to "renew" the informes as to prevent a last minute embargo (lien) from screwing up the escritura.

I believe your escribano can "check the documents" before you pay anything to the agent if the agent provides the legal description of the property.

this would be the ideal case scenario. it would really suck to make a reserva only to find out that there's a problem with the papers that i'm simply not willing to deal with.

this would be the ideal case scenario. it would really suck to make a reserva only to find out that there's a problem with the papers that i'm simply not willing to deal with.

For the escribano to revise the documentacion you will need to leave a small reserve ( stipulating all your conditions) The reserve should not be more than 1000 dollars and all the notes should be recorded in case there is no clean title . In 7 days the escribano can inform you if you can go ahead as to ask for the informes of dominio and inhibicion if you ask for them urgently arrive in 3 business days .

If the documentacion is correct you can leave a small boleto of 10% of the value of the property . Make sure that the Boleto is revised by your escribano before signing .

For the escribano to revise the documentacion you will need to leave a small reserve ( stipulating all your conditions) The reserve should not be more than 1000 dollars and all the notes should be recorded in case there is no clean title . In 7 days the escribano can inform you if you can go ahead as to ask for the informes of dominio and inhibicion if you ask for them urgently arrive in 3 business days .

If the documentacion is correct you can leave a small boleto of 10% of the value of the property . Make sure that the Boleto is revised by your escribano before signing .

By 'the notes should be recorded' he means that sometimes people record the serial number of each actual bank note left as deposit. This way if you have to retrieve the deposit, you make sure you dont get shafted with fake bills.

Cheers!

now the realtor won't even start the negotiation process unless i make a reservation, she calls it "la formalidad" but what's the point of making a reserva if the seller may not accept my offer? i can't possibly be making several reservas all over the place. i thought the negotiation procces comes first and only after all parties agree on the amounts things go forward...

now the realtor won't even start the negotiation process unless i make a reservation, she calls it "la formalidad" but what's the point of making a reserva if the seller may not accept my offer? i can't possibly be making several reservas all over the place. i thought the negotiation procces comes first and only after all parties agree on the amounts things go forward...

In Argentina to express an offer a small reserve must be made . There is absolutely no risk that you will lose your reserve if you take these precautions of leaving a minimal reserve ( all carefully noted by serial number) and also you ask for a copy of the deed . If they do not give you a copy of the deed never leave a reserve as many real estate agents exaggerate the metres of the published property.

Back