Do People Negotiate New Car Prices Here?

BaltRochGirl

Registered
If you buy a new car from a dealership and you're paying for it in full, do they generally negotiate the prices or is it what you see is what you pay?

And is there any change if you're trading in your old car?

I think it depends on the type of car. I wasn't able to negotiate the price for a new small car that was in high demand at the time. But they offered me discounts for another make/model (that I did not like).

We bought a new VW Gol 5 years ago. My husband is quite the negotiator. Never gives up. Some were not willing but he eventually found one that would.

Does the Auto dealer(s) in Argentina charges more than the sticker price or individual vehicle's manufacturers suggested retail price?
In the states, they use these absurd additional sticker called, dealer's asking price which amounts to most of times "thousands" of dollars more in addition to the MSRP.

And they all start doing the negotiation price from that added "dealer's asking price", also known as the dealer's _pack_... Since the states does not allow a manufacturer to own its own retail stores, thus the manufacturers does not have control on how its own branded vehicle is sold to the general buying public.

So each dealer gets greedy and ask more
for a particular vehicle much higher price than the manufacturer's own suggested price sticker.

I only see this practices in the US o A vehicle retailing industry among all of the world !

Does the Auto dealer(s) in Argentina charges more than the sticker price or individual vehicle's manufacturers suggested retail price?
In the states, they use these absurd additional sticker called, dealer's asking price which amounts to most of times "thousands" of dollars more in addition to the MSRP.

And they all start doing the negotiation price from that added "dealer's asking price", also known as the dealer's _pack_... Since the states does not allow a manufacturer to own its own retail stores, thus the manufacturers does not have control on how its own branded vehicle is sold to the general buying public.

So each dealer gets greedy and ask more
for a particular vehicle much higher price than the manufacturer's own suggested price sticker.

I only see this practices in the US o A vehicle retailing industry among all of the world !

It is usually the list price of the car plus flete (cost to deliver the car to the dealership) plus patentamiento (the cost registering the car in your name).

There is no law against negotiation so you are free to do so. If you're interested in a car that they've had in their showroom for 9 months that for one reason or another hasn't sold, the dealer is probably very willing to negotiate. If on the other hand you want a popular model which has a half year wait list, the dealer is probably not going to jump through hoops to get you to buy.

If Nobody gives discounts, and somebody does, it is probably a fraud. It happend to me with Guido Guidi, they gave me 30.000 pesos discount on an Amarok but they never gave me the car...

Often car dealerships sell cars that they don't even have yet. My friend at GM had to deal with all these idiotic car dealerships calling him frantically in need a car that hadn't been shipped from Brazil yet. Make sure they actually have the car in stock and not on a barge somewhere in the ocean.

Also if they don't give you a discount try to get at least some freebie like tinted windows (they almost always throw that in if you ask them).

Back