Do they sell real Christmas trees?

nledec

Registered
I'm moving with my family to Buenos Aires soon. I'm trying to plan ahead as much as possible so I've been trying to find out about Christmas supplies in Argentina. That is to say, are real (non-artificial) Christmas trees available for purchase in Buenos Aires for the holidays? Or are only artificial Christmas trees available? If it is only artificial trees, how is there quality?

Christmas trees have nothing to do with Christ, they are a throwback to the pagan midwinter festival. A symbol of the coming spring.
So as Christmas falls here in mid summer, the chances of finding a real tree are virtually zero.
What they do tend to have is a sort of wire framework, cone shaped, and covered in tinsle. So even artificial trees are rare.

nledec said:
I'm moving with my family to Buenos Aires soon. I'm trying to plan ahead as much as possible so I've been trying to find out about Christmas supplies in Argentina. That is to say, are real (non-artificial) Christmas trees available for purchase in Buenos Aires for the holidays? Or are only artificial Christmas trees available? If it is only artificial trees, how is there quality?

I have to say, I love that this is a big concern. :D

I hate to tell you, but Buenos Aires is a little different than the northern hemisphere (US/Western Europe). You might find that you have to make adjustments once you get down here.

PS- Christmas SUCKS down here. I was here this past year and it was totally depressing. Enjoy. :cool:

Totally agree with Napoleon. Xmas in Argentina NEVER again, it just does not feel right. I managed to find a few real trees in Tigre (pretty expensive, rather small and not all that great), the big supermarkets have a huge selection of artificial ones.

Bah Humbug!
You need to realise that Christmas is different down here, but not necessarily worse or better, just different. When in another country, another hemisphere even, adapt, survive and enjoy.
I worried about how I would cope, but got myself friendly with a local family. They invited me out to their family Christmas (Christmas Eve) made me thouroughly at home, and had one whale of a time.
Christmas Day was just a succession of expat parties all the way through until midnight (had to rush off to a milonga then).
Tango friends then threw another party Boxing day, ended up in another milonga, hey ho.
Go out meet people, go to the Plazas Christmas eve and New years eve, and see the mad fireworks, get drunk if you must. Most of all, do not sit alone and mope. Buenos Aires goes mad over the festivities, if you do not enjoy it, the fault is yours, not Buenos Aires.

Nah Bob, it just does not do it for me. Baking ain't fun in that weather and neither are the songs. Of course you can enjoy Christmas here but it's not a "silent night".

nledec, I havent seen any real xmas trees here (does not mean there aren't any); so we bought an artifial one and have used it for the last 2 years. The quality is good although it is not full size. We got it at Falabella in Florida street. They had several options to choose from. It was imported, and thus a bit more expensive (dont recall exactly how much, but maybe around USD $90?).

While you will find xmas ornaments here as well; they are usually not good quality, and it's hard to find a complete theme in the same colors.... SO, I would recommend you bring your own ornaments if this is important to you.

Good luck!

pd: we do enjoy xmas and new years here, specially the fireworks all over the city.

desertrose said:
Nah Bob, it just does not do it for me. Baking ain't fun in that weather and neither are the songs. Of course you can enjoy Christmas here but it's not a "silent night".

Silent night it aint, with all the fireworks it's more Bayrut than Bethlehem.
Too hot to bake, but isn't it nice to sit out in the sun. Leave your pre concieved ideas behind or what is the point of travel?

The only option I have seen for a live tree is to buy one from a nursery and then plant it in your yard or get a good sized pot and put it on your patio. I have seen nice smaller...5 feet and less trees....I don't remember the prices...sorry. But do know the area of the nursery and if you want can locate the name and street for you if need be. I to had a hard time my first year with a fake tree...first ever in my life!! To some this is nothing but when you have lived in Washington state and Alaska the majority of your life a fresh cut tree is part of the tradition of Christmas...as are cranberrys! If you love them better stock up and bring them down...very rare to find canned and forget fresh.

There is a great store in downtown called The Christmas Store...and they have wonderful ornaments, before we moved here we bought 3 boxes and took them back to the states...it's been several years since I have been there but I believe it's near the Obelisko on Corrienthus....sorry I am sure the street name is spelled wrong :(

Back