Do Uruguayan Pesos Sell At A "blue" Rate?

• Thread starter mellowshipslinky
  • Start date
M

mellowshipslinky

Am leaving Argentina soon and found a small pile of Uruguayan pesos that I won't have a chance to spend abroad. Do they sell here at the official rate, or is there a higher rate due to the fact they're ANYTHING BUT ARGENTINE CURRENCY!?

It's not a huge amount, $970 (~$45 USD)

They should sell at a higher rate as any other foreign currency. However, while every cuave accepts US$ and you can get a good price, it becomes harder to sell the less demand for the currency exists. I took a bunch of Brazilian Reales but the cuaves mostly had bad rates (way better than official, but still quite below the "fair" blue rate compared to the US$); I finally sold mostly to private persons/companies who need the Reales, but there it really helps to be able to wait until you get a good offer instead of having to sell on short notice. For 50$, probably ask your cuave and if they accept it for a not so great rate, I'd just do it anyway as you probably spend more time and effort which is only worth for bigger amounts.

go to Florida Ave. and purchase a leather belt or wallet paying in Uruguayan pesos :wub:

The blue place I used to go do change Uruguayan pesos to AR pesos, I think the rates is something in between official and blue. PM me for the contact.

Thanks all for the replies & suggestions... I think I'll try and buy something small & packable with it here in BA, it's not that much to begin with.

If there's anyone planning on a Uruguay trip and wants to change pesos before hand drop me a message

Thanks all for the replies & suggestions... I think I'll try and buy something small & packable with it here in BA, it's not that much to begin with.

If there's anyone planning on a Uruguay trip and wants to change pesos before hand drop me a message

You mentioned about US$45?..If that little amount, just go into a bodega that can take your UR pesos and buy a bunch of Dulce de leche for souvenirs to take back home!

Back