Do You Constantly Have The Water And Electricity Shut Off?

cruizes

Registered
We are moving to BA in a few weeks. We are actually Americans but have been living in the Rosarito Beach area of Baja Mexico for the past few years.

Living in Mexico can be quite a challenege so I would like to see if these challenges are to be expected when in BA.

Does the water and electricity shut off for uncertain period of times?

This happens on a regularly basis in Mexico. Maybe this is why Mexico will always remain a third world country. :D

To be honest. I've never really had that problem. I've experienced a few outages during that summer that will last 1-3 hours. But this happens at most three times a year. I live in Capital Federal so things might be different out in the provinces.

And i've never had a problem with the water going out. I mean, your building can have a maintenance issue and something might get cut off because of that, or a breaker might jump and you might have to reset it, but I haven't experienced any rationing.

Just note, if you are a high consumption home, the government penalizes you for it. If you are a low consumption home, the government subsidizes your usage and it's actually pretty cheap. Just be careful with the A/C in the summer ;)

we are always having power cuts here in Boulogne,San Isidro.and occasionally low pressure for the water...so pretty much the same I guess!!!

In my area of San Isidro there was only one power outage last year - lasted about two hours.

Water pressure is poor, except between midnight and dawn.

So it sounds like I will feel at home when in BA. Dirty but homey!

Ive lived in both places,and although Ive not experienced either water or electrical outages here,id much rather be chilling in Mexico on the playa then here,but given the nature of my work im here....take it for what its worth.

Never been without water, but in the beginning of summer (when everyone puts his AC on), we have spend hours and sometimes a whole day/night without power. We were told that that is 'normal'. After a few days/weeks all is back to normal, untill the next year...

What is so great about Mexico and the playas. Alot of stupid running around here. Haven't you heard - "change is good"?

Do you mean like they turn off your electricity and water on purpose? I know a girl who lived in Haiti and she said that the city was sectioned into certain areas and depending on the time of day your area would have it's electricity turned on or off. I guess there wasn't enough to go around or something like that.

Well if that's what you mean, they do not do that here, at least in my experience although problems with utilities are common. There was a month time at my other apartment when the gas wasn't working which meant no stove and no hot water. Kinda drove me crazy but certainly taught me to appreciate cooking and hot showers a heck of a lot more.

I have been here for 3 1/2 years, and only time i can remember water problems was an issue with pressure, still had water, just wasn't enough pressure to have a shower..
Power outages are not often, in summer with thunder storms when the streets get flooded have had power out for a few hours, and internet/phone out for days after, but the power outage usually doesnt last long.

Back