Does anyone separate their recyclables?

HoboZero

Registered
One of the common points of contention I hear about with the city is the sheer quantity of garbage lining the streets. While part of it comes from the litter culture here, a good portion is from the unique cartonero "recycling system". As they dismantle the bags of trash at dusk looking for recyclables, the wake of refuse is knee deep in some neighborhoods.

To combat this I asked some of our local collectors exactly what was usable and started setting it aside from our trash. We then bag it up and set it next to the other garbage in open bags. After a couple weeks, our garbage was less picked through and I actually got an appreciative look from one of the cartoneros.

I often fantasize about a public program to promote separating recyclables and a cleaner friendlier Buenos Aires where cartoneros don't need to drag their kids in tow until midnight sifting through trash to put food on the table. Dare to dream. Short of that, I was curious if anyone else in the expat community is doing the same thing.

Q: Does anyone separate their recyclables?

A: Yes, the people who go through everyone's trash every night do.

Yeah, but if people separated out their recyclable items, the cartoneros wouldn't NEED to sift through trash, and then there would be less trash in the streets and everybody would be happy!

I, too, wonder about an initiative to start a more formal recycling program here in BA...

we do!
even i tried to convince our neighbors to do the same, but unfortunately the answer was that we have no reason to make the cartoneros life easier and that it wouldn't help since argentina is full of shit and dirt

:(

HOOLLAA. I often hear this question from expats!

I am an investigator who is working with a number of cartonero cooperatives looking at health and risks.

Please sort the recyclables, remove them from the organic waste and the non-recyclables.

They will take everything out that is recyclable and this sorting will make it easier for them.

A few years ago they attempted 'at origin separation' but it failed horribly due to lack of publicity and organization. They will be attempting it again this year in a few neighbourhoods (with a better information campaign hopefully!).

Hi! I know there aren't many of us (I mean Argentines who worry about garbage and actually do something) but I have good news! In my biulding people are encouraged to sort recyclables... I know not everybody does it but it is a start.

Hello
Iam also a local and I do a very simple recyle I sort organic from non organic (like bottles, plastic bags and papers and some other plastic items) I do this all the time now Iam so used that I don`t mind but where I live in Monserrat with garbage everywhere it would be a miracle to have the sidewalks clean and without garbage.

gabor said:
we do!
even i tried to convince our neighbors to do the same, but unfortunately the answer was that we have no reason to make the cartoneros life easier and that it wouldn't help since argentina is full of shit and dirt

Nice. Well it's off to a warm tub with my straight razor for me then.

gabor said:
we do!

There is hope, che! I number of cooperatives (El Ceibo, MTE in the ciudad and Reciclando Suenos in the provencia) have had rather successful campaigns with a few neighbourhoods were people were sorting recycables and saving them to give to the cooperatives on certain days of the week.

That being said, a number of these cooperatives, the government, and NGOs and researchers are trying to change things. It is a slow process, but I feel that it is going in the right direction ...

Hi, I separate my plastics, paper and glass and take them to the local recycle stations/Big bins that are around the city every week. However, I would like to get the 20 unit apt. complex that i live in to start recycling. Does anybody know if theirs a government org. that will come and pick up the recyclables of a 20 unit apartment complex? PS:Maybe there is an org. out there that uses folks form the villas to help out?:rolleyes:
Thanks,
A

Back