Doggie Day Care In Belgrano?

GS_Dirtboy

Registered
Hi, everyone.

Does anyone know of a doggie day care in Belgrano? I had one in San Diego for my pup there. Would drop him off in the Am and pick him up in the PM. Had a full play ground for the whoofies including a slide into the pool. They had cameras set up so you could log onto their website during the day and watch your puppy spend your money. It was kinda cool.

Does that exist here?

Many thanks!

GS

I looked into opening one , but no one would pay the amount needed to cover expenses !! Also looked into a dog wash salon , where people could bring their doggie and wash them there , with smelly shampoos and warm water and hair dryers !! That too would be to expensive.

It is hard to teach old dogs ( argentines) new tricks....

You'd think with the number of people here with dogs (who have no clue how to train or maintain them) that something like this would be a possibility. Having said that I just realized why. Just watch people walking their dogs ... who's in charge?

I would estimate that less than 25% of the owners actually know how to train their dogs at any level. I've seen one dog owner here in 6 years who really had his Shepherd trained. I crossed the street to say hello and acknowledge the work he did and his great woof.

The city estimates there is one animal for every three people. That's a million dogs and cats. The poor have dogs and don't take them to the vet because they don't have the money.

There are dog handlers who train and walk dogs all over the city. I've seen handlers with as many as 20 dogs, and they are all trained. Dogs walked by owners usually are not trained. If only more Argentines knew about the television program The Dog Whisperer with Cesar Millan (Encantador de perros) on National Geographic. I have new neighbors who have a puppy. They are a young couple who haven't realized that the dog needs to be trained early or things get worse. Last night the dog entered my apartment when I left the door slightly open while taking out the garbage. I've pleaded with them to learn how to train the dog. They do as they please without respect for neighbors and the law. There are videos on YouTube on how to train a puppy which I am giving them today. Cesar Millan usually has to train the owners first, then the dogs are fine. That's the case with this couple who don't know how to use the lease for discipline. I've never had a dog, but I could train theirs after watching the program.

Find a dog handler in your neighborhood. They are walking the dogs in the morning and bring them home in the afternoon. The dogs are better off with exercise in a pack than being stuck in an apartment all day. They pick them up at the door and bring them back at the end of the day. They take them to the park to rest. Check around your neighborhood. Surely you have a neighbor with a dog who can recommend a handler.

But I have to ask why you have a dog if you want someone else to take care of it all day long?

Snip ...

But I have to ask why you have a dog if you want someone else to take care of it all day long?

I've seen the dog walkers ... walking dogs in the streets, panting in hot weather, etc, etc. I'd have to be convinced that this is a good option.

I appreciate your perspective on dog training. It's the owners who need to understand how dogs think. That's the secret to training. In my house with my dogs I am always Alpha Male. I get what I want, went I want it. My dogs get what they want when I get what I want. (I wish that worked with my wife.)

Example, my dogs want to go outside? They go out only after they sit first at the door and wait for my OK. They want to eat? They get to eat only after they sit first and wait for my OK. They want to go forward on the lease? They get to go forward only after they stop pulling. Water is free.

Not quite sure I understand your comment about having someone else take care of them. That's like saying you shouldn't have kids because they'll be in school all day. It's not that I WANT someone else to take care of it. My only other option is to take it to work with me (which I'm trying to figure out how to do). I'd love to quit my job, work on my farm, train my dogs all day, and play my mandolin in a blue grass band. But, that's not real life ... at least not yet. :)

Most dog walkers here are awful. And for those of you who think they're actually getting walked, go check out a park. They typically tie them to a pole and leave them sitting there in the sun for hours while the dog walker drinks mate and chats with the other "walkers". Not an option I would consider.

GS - Sorry, I don't know of any doggie daycare here. You might try asking around at the vet/pet stores to see if anyone knows of something. Failing that, if you go the dog walker route, I'd recommend finding one that does solo walks and get references.

I agree with citygirl about the dog walkers, I hate them! They just tie the dogs to a tree for an hour. Yesterday we passed a dog walker with just 6 dogs, we had ours on his leash and took him into the street to avoid her dogs but they got all riled up anyway and she acted as if we had done something wrong. I hate that attitude!

I've never heard of a doggie day care but there is a dog grooming salon by our house here in Coghlan, so that was successful. It's not chic by any means but they seem to do well.

Some of the dog walkers are good...but yes, some of them are really bad and just tie them up all day. I guess you have to stalk them for a while before making a decision. I agree about the lack of discipline with dogs here. In the past week alone, I saw a puppy run out into a busy road, get hit by a bicycle and then bolt off (while his ridiculous owner screamed after him, puteanod), I saw lab (also unleashed) start hassling a fierce-looking bulldog type (the kind with clipped ears) and then have to get dragged away by the scruff of his neck by an owner that obviously couldn't handle him...I also saw a dogo and a lab go at it in the street (unleashed...surprise!). The lab owner ended up having to push the dog into a cab just to stop him from getting killed...neither of the owners could handle the animals at all.

I actually filmed a documentary about dogwalkers. . . some are very good and are almost like animal psychologists, and quite a few who prefer dogs to people (and also who rescue dogs in the spare time, there was even one who I think spent her whole salary on dog rescuing).
What you should do aside for ask for recs is to go to the local parks, see the dog walkers who are the most attentive and approach them. you should also find a dogwalker who walks for a while and doesn´t pick them up in a van.
The dogs they keep tied up should be on long leashes--the ones that are tied are the ones that try to run away.

How does it work if you are at work, they pick up the dog in the morning, but I assume you have to been around lunch to let them back in with the dog?

Back