Dolares At Chile's Atms?

Parvati

Registered
Hi,
Our stash of cash is running low and we are not going any time soon back to the US. But we are going to Chile for a couple of days. Does anyone know if we can get dollars out of ATMs in Chile? I am tired of getting screwed with the official exchange rate if I use my debit card.
Thanks
Pato

Hi,
Our stash of cash is running low and we are not going any time soon back to the US. But we are going to Chile for a couple of days. Does anyone know if we can get dollars out of ATMs in Chile? I am tired of getting screwed with the official exchange rate if I use my debit card.
Thanks
Pato

Not that I'm aware of. It's all pesos at the ATMs, but you can buy dollars at the cambios (with Chilean pesos, not pesos cristinistas).

ATM's in Chile do not dispense Dollars, it's a foreign exchange transaction. You can purchase dollars at the Banks or Casa de Cambios, the later do not accept credit cards!! The Dollar sale price is $480 pesos plus fees. Just spoke with Cambios Office below, via Skype. Uruguay is your option.

http://www.cambiosantiago.cl/

Thanks all. It was rather convenient to have dollars here at ATM's. Monatuk, I love sarcasm, but alas other countries do allow dollars at ATM's... so it is worth asking.
Seems I'll have to go to Uruguay.
Cheers!

Thanks all. It was rather convenient to have dollars here at ATM's. Monatuk, I love sarcasm, but alas other countries do allow dollars at ATM's... so it is worth asking.
Seems I'll have to go to Uruguay.
Cheers!

Colonia ....Never go on Monday!! ATM's are replenished Monday after 2 pm. Operate before noon time other days , before the BQB arrival!!! AMEX card is not accepted by most banks, only Visa and MC.

Banco Republica Oriental del Uruguay, delivers US$1000 per day per card? inside the bank, via human Teller
At 1 pm before the bank opens the line goes around the block!!
Good Luck

When I was in Chile 2 years ago I am 99% sure that the HSBC HQ (in the barrio of Les Condes in Santiago ) had an ATM with US Dollar option.If you will be in Santiago call them and ask.

I was in Santiago in March 2012 (OK it was relatively long ago but things don't change as quickly over there) and I used my Bank Of America card at Scotiabank ATMs and could select USD to withdraw and to top of it, they are both part of the bank consortium so I didn't get any fees either! I think I could only take out $300 or $600 at a time but no fees so it really didn't matter.

Back