Dollar Questions

doubleup_dan

Registered
Hi

My girlfriend is Argentinean and she was wondering how to buy some dollars.

So I thought is it possible for her when we are in the UK to go to a forigen exchange and use her credit card to buy dollars? I dont see why this wouldnt work as you can buy anything else on debit/credit card out of the country.

with the 15% charge on her card she would be getting 5.75 exchange which isnt that bad.

Also I have heard on here people saying about buying stock here then selling it out of the country. Is there a thread that explains this in detail as I dont have a clue about doing something like that.

Thanx

I would say yes IF the F.E. accepts credit cards, and sells Dollars to you at the OFFICIAL RATE??? In Uruguay you would get the Blue Rate same or worse than here...!!

For buying stocks locally and selling them abroad , contact an Agente de Bolsa that will explain and do all the transaction, once you establish an account with them!

http://www.bullmarketbrokers.com/93-invertir_en_bolsa/77-invertir_en_bolsa/?gclid=CM77orez8rUCFQnNnAodE2UAvA

I believe that the AFIP will need some sort of proof that the currency has been used/spent abroad somehow. Otherwise everybody spending a little time abroad would be doing the same silly thing. They've warned people that if their expenses do not match the currency exchanged they will demand it back. They're on to you.

Also, buying dollars in the UK...?Fishy. AFIP is not in the glass eating business, you know?
In Argentina, you do not mess with AFIP (anymore). AFIP messes with you!

You can withdraw dollars in a foreign country with your credit card in any ATM (local currency if the ATM doesn't have dollars) without involving AFIP in any way. She needs to call visa to create the pin number to allow her to use the card in the atm, this is called cash advance. The limit for this is smaller than the spending limit, around 10%, and the fees varies from bank to bank, but is around 1% to 3%.

In this case she will need to pay: 1) original amount at official rate * 2) bank's fees * 3) 15% of the first number. This should be around 6$ for every dollar.. Regarding your other question.. she can also buy stock or bonds in argentina, but she needs to have a Brokerage account in argentina, US Bank Account and a Brokerage account also in the US to transfer the securities. This is the Contado con Liqui, but the rate is not really good (I believe it touched this week around 8.1). You will need to use that if she needs to buy a large number of dollars legally (not small transactions) as it seems she needs.

Regards

Also, buying dollars in the UK...?Fishy. AFIP is not in the glass eating business, you know?
In Argentina, you do not mess with AFIP (anymore). AFIP messes with you!

Though it wouldnt appear as dollars on a bank statement. it would appear in pounds

Didnt realise about AFIP checking so that would be a problem

Back