dollar withdrawals

sts7049

Registered
one thing i'm a little confused about with these controls.

are there limits on how much USD you can withdraw from your USD account at the bank? i know there are limits in how much USD you can buy ($200).

there's no limit to withdrawals, as long as they are originally in dollars in the account.

HSBC refused to give me more than 5K in one transaction mid october. There is no official restriction, but the banks here may do as they pleased...

HSBC refused to give me more than 5K in one transaction mid october. There is no official restriction, but the banks here may do as they pleased...
Some of the HSBC branches require a 24-hr notification to ensure the dollars are sent to them by the main office.

Some of the HSBC branches require a 24-hr notification to ensure the dollars are sent to them by the main office.
i took 10K out the week before that without notifying the brunch prior to it. When I asked for the same the week after I was told they are not allowed to give out more than 5K, not that they didn't have it, that is why I said the banks may do as they pleased.

One guy on reddit (an Argentine, I think) had problems getting dollars out, and it was less than US $2000.....

The situation, as described by gerscara, differs entirely from the one posted in reddit. The reddit poster was not denied the withdrawal of the dollars.
He was asked to provide additional information. One needs to read the previous comments posted by other reddit contributors in answer to the query to understand that particular situation. I did and it makes sense what the bank was asking..."justification" being the key word.

Last edited:
In the redditor's case, the bank was telling him if he wanted to withdraw the money in dollars, he had to provide justification for the source of the dollars. But they said if he converted the dollars to pesos (at the bank's lame rate), then he could withdraw the pesos no questions asked (no justification). It appeared to be an excuse to avoid giving out dollars.

In the redditor's case, the bank was telling him if he wanted to withdraw the money in dollars, he had to provide justification for the source of the dollars. But they said if he converted the dollars to pesos (at the bank's lame rate), then he could withdraw the pesos no questions asked (no justification). It appeared to be an excuse to avoid giving out dollars.
Not quite.....according to the redditor he has a "salary" savings account where the employer deposits his earnings (en blanco) in pesos. With that type of account he can withdraw the equivalent in pesos. To withdraw the dollars a justification is required. He ended up transferring the dollars back to his friend.
This is exactly what the redditor wrote:
Para un poco de contexto, tengo una caja de ahorro en un sólo banco, y tengo un amigo que se maneja con varios bancos. Como el precio del dólar en mi banco era muy alto a comparación de otros, él me consiguió dólares más baratos y me hizo la transferencia a mi cuenta.

Cabe destacar que el monto que compré no es significativo, al fin y al cabo son unos pesos que tenía invertidos en MercadoPago de un trabajo que tengo (en blanco) con muy poca carga horaria y, por ende, pocas cifras.

Me dijo que tenía que justificar los dólares que retiraba, y que no era suficiente con mi recibo de sueldo, ya que sólamente podía usar un recibo de sueldo para extraer sólamente el 20% del monto expresado en dicho recibo, me preguntó para qué. Además, que si mi amigo simplemente me "dió" los dólares sin justificación, que él tendría que hacer un acta de donación, sin importar que previamente a que él compré los dólares, yo le pasé el mismo importe a él, en pesos y justificados. Creí que iba a ser más fácil......

Last edited:
Back