Dollars In Uruguay

tqtqtq

Registered
I am new to BsAs and need to get some dollars from my bank account in the states. I hear that I can get dollars in Uruguay, but I don't know how. Use an ATM? Where? Take a ferry to Uruguay? Any kind of ATM preferrable to any other? Where is the best location, in which town? I am counting on getting my tourist visa renewed on the trip. Is that a reasonable assumption?

Hi, plenty of threads deal with this specific subject.

The most extensive one being this one -> http://baexpats.org/topic/21706-atm-in-uruguay-for-dollars/

Any ATM will give you US$ 300 per extraction up to the daily limit of your CC.

I WOULD GO TO COLONIA(400 PESOS ROUND TRIP) AND USE THE ATM OF THE DISCOUNT BANK OR BBVA ONLY.
MAKE SURE YOU DIGIT THE CODES PROPERLY OR YOU MAY LOSE YOUR CARD THERE.

I WOULD GO TO COLONIA(400 PESOS ROUND TRIP) AND USE THE ATM OF THE DISCOUNT BANK OR BBVA ONLY.
MAKE SURE YOU DIGIT THE CODES PROPERLY OR YOU MAY LOSE YOUR CARD THERE.

Going for 1 day is costly...!! US$1500 daily extraction limit with ATM with a cost of US$150 or 10% .
Including, buquebus $60 dollars , lunch $20 dollars , taxi $10 dollars, bank fees ($ 20 dollars per ATM Colonia bank extraction, plus $25 dollars international extraction fee from your bank), other $15 dollars.

Going for 1 day is costly...!! US$1500 daily extraction limit with ATM with a cost of US$150 or 10% .
Including, buquebus $60 dollars , lunch $20 dollars , taxi $10 dollars, bank fees ($ 20 dollars per ATM Colonia bank extraction, plus $25 dollars international extraction fee from your bank), other $15 dollars.

Why would there be a 20 dollar per ATM withdrawal fee+ a 25 dollar international fee? Are you saying the Uruguayan bank charges a $20 USD fee per ATM withdrawal? And what is this $25 dollar fee?

When I use a US card, I do pay a 3% currency conversion fee although not sure how that would work when withdrawing dollars - in theory, they shouldn't charge it. Other than that, the only fee that would be charged would be a $2 fee for using a non Citibank ATM (although if there is a Citibank there, that would be waived as well).

So I'm not sure what fees you are refering to?

Yop, same situation as CityGirl:

My debit card (really a basic account in USD, but not in the US) allows me to withdraw 2.500 USD.
That makes 8 withdrawals of 300 USD and I'm charged now about 9.5/10 USD per withdrawal (including my bank + ATM network commission).

Why would there be a 20 dollar per ATM withdrawal fee+ a 25 dollar international fee? Are you saying the Uruguayan bank charges a $20 USD fee per ATM withdrawal? And what is this $25 dollar fee?

When I use a US card, I do pay a 3% currency conversion fee although not sure how that would work when withdrawing dollars - in theory, they shouldn't charge it. Other than that, the only fee that would be charged would be a $2 fee for using a non Citibank ATM (although if there is a Citibank there, that would be waived as well).

So I'm not sure what fees you are refering to?

The charges on my Bank of America debit card are....! Each $300 dollar ATM withdrawal gets a charge of $4 by the local bank the charge is $304 dollars, plus B of A startemernt shows a $5 dollar non bofa international withdraw charge. On 5 withdrawals to the daily limit of ·$1500 totals $20 plus $25

Yop, same situation as CityGirl:

My debit card (really a basic account in USD, but not in the US) allows me to withdraw 2.500 USD.
That makes 8 withdrawals of 300 USD and I'm charged now about 9.5/10 USD per withdrawal (including my bank + ATM network commission).

Well I make 5 withdrawals or a total of $50 dollars as per your data. I figured before $45..??

What is 9.5 /10 ???

Back