Domestic Flight Without Passport?

SherbertDip

Registered
Does anyone know if you can take a domestic flight using a U.S Driving license as your Identification Document?

They have always asked me for my passport in Argentina, even when I travel within the country, because they love to look at those entry stamps. I've never gone anywhere else where there is such an obsession with hunting down and matching up those stamps...

Does anyone know if you can take a domestic flight using a U.S Driving license as your Identification Document?

Highly doubt it.
At a bank once they told me that they wouldn't even accept an Argentine driver license as valid ID.

The idea of license doubling as ID is mainly in countries which have no other similarly ubiquitous form of identification. Countries that have national ID cards, not so much.

Definitely not, as Ben said they don't accept DL's anywhere, before I had my DNI I had to bring my passport to use a credit card at the supermarket.Suerte

It is the same in the US actually. Foreign driver's licenses are not accepted as valid ID. Only passports. In the states they often won't serve you a beer in a bar if you only have a foreign driver's license or foreign ID card.

In states, I have experienced that they do not understand what is a passport!!! They insist to see your US drivers license even if you dont have one or dont know driving!!!

How dumb is that!

In states, I have experienced that they do not understand what is a passport!!! They insist to see your US drivers license even if you dont have one or dont know driving!!!

How dumb is that!

In the States, your DL *is* your ID. If you don't have a DL, you can ask for an ID card. If later you get a DL, you have to surrender your ID card because you must use your DL only. ID an DL are both issued at DMVs.

In the States, your DL *is* your ID. If you don't have a DL, you can ask for an ID card.

So a foreigner when he arrives in States for tourism, should get a ID card first??

May I know where to get such ID cards for a foreigner on tourism in States?

This way all illegal migrants in US, can get a ID then??

And tourists should throw their passports in garbage on arrival in US?

How dumb is that!

How dumb is that!

I don't know what kind of experience you had but they obviously know what a passport is. They will ask to see your DL and if you don't have one, then passport it is. I was out in Boston with a Moroccan friend and a Canadian friend, they had their ID cards from their home countries and we weren't allowed in to any bars (it was St. Patrick's Day, more controls), because the door guys were told by law they had to accept only passports.

Back