Door To Door Service Experiences?

UK Man

Registered
Now this is up and running I was wondering if those who have ordered items from abroad could let me know of their experiences. To be honest I'm still confused how it's supposed to work....maybe they want it that way to put people off from using it. :D
As I'm not registered with AFIP I haven't a clue whether this might make receiving packages harder, easier or downright impossible. :confused:

We ordered some car parts from the UK and they arrived OK to us in Patagonia. Nothing major, just part for the locks, a new grill and some other details. We had them sent through DHL and paid the taxes before. We paid with an Argentine credit card.

The two packages took three days from order to arrival in BsAs and cleared customs over night according to the tracker. Then they got delayed in BsAs for a week before Oca felt like sending them on down south.

I can't swear to it but I don't think we put my husband's DNI anywhere.

It looks like it works...

I have right now an envelope held in Ezeiza containing my criminal record, a credit card and three (3) used silicon laces (see picture below) with a declared value of €3 (three euros).
Aduana has blocked them for "other reasons" and they are asking 100 USD (más IVA) + 250 ARS to unblock them.
My courier is FedEx. I am not registered with AFIP.

I asked my mom to mail me the silicon laces because I had read this article on La Nación where it said that when the shipping is through courier, they take care of clearing customs. I was expecting to pay 50% of the declared value, not USD150. They can destroy my shipment for what's worth. I am not paying that outrageous amount of money for three stupid silicon laces.

Laccio-2.jpg

I have received bank cards several times in last 5 years with zero issues ( at my door every time) and zero penalties.

Ditto for documents many many times by fedex or dhl or even ordinary mail.

--

never tried to import any thing ever ...so cant comment.

Receiving documents and credit cards from abroad has never been a problem for me either over the years. Not quite sure what to make of your experience Sarafina as it seems all quite bizarre. Thanks for your example Tilda. It's not quite clear to me who you paid the taxes to...DHL or through the AFIP site?

Receiving documents and credit cards from abroad has never been a problem for me either over the years. Not quite sure what to make of your experience Serafina as it seems all quite bizarre. Thanks for your example Tilda. It's not quite clear to me who you paid the taxes to...DHL or through the AFIP site?

We talked with FedEx over the phone on Friday as soon as I was notified about it and the guy was of the same idea. He said it sounds odd that it was held in custom for such a silly thing. Me think they are fishing for some bribe or some fool to catch the bait.

We talked with FedEx over the phone on Friday as soon as I was notified about it and the guy was of the same idea. He said it sounds odd that it was held in custom for such a silly thing. Me think they are fishing for some bribe or some fool to catch the bait.

Goodness knows, anything is possible in this country. Do let us know if you get it sorted out. It's examples like your that puts me off ordering anything from abroad.

just order things with a little bit of tact!

dont couple credit cards or important documents with other objects..

dont order objects which are not so important!

get your cards in a separate mail.

I just had a nightmarish experience with this issue. I ordered two spare parts for my car from the USA.
I received the local telegram with instructions to pay a VEP (meaning Volante Electronico de Pago) in the AFIP Internet page.
So I did, but unknowlingly, it seems that I did it wrongly. AFIP has three branches (IRS; CUSTOMS, and SOCIAL SECURITY). The payment went to the IRS branch, it seems; and Customs did not recognize this as a payment for Internacional Mail. I went five(5) times to the Correo Internacional office in Retiro, waiting for hours, and sometimes interviewing up to 9 bureucrats. They never told me the source of the problem until the sixth time, went they told that the parts had been sent back to the USA.
Beat this, if you can!!

Back