Dove Hunting in Argentina?

murvee

Registered
I did some Google searching and also some forum searching and could not find any information on it so I decided to try here!

Has anyone had an experience dove hunting in Argentina? I guess it is popular in Córdoba? There seem to be a lot of companies that do it (and most are super expensive) and it is hard to tell which provide quality services.

My father (who enjoys hunting) wanted to come visit and go dove hunting while he is here. Money is not so much as issue, but I want to make sure he is taken care of (not taken advantage of).

Any help would be much appreciated!

I frequent another board where there's at least one guy that comes yearly to this. If you are interested I might try to find him.

For what I read he stays 5 days out in the sticks and only spends a couple of days in BA.

Will get back to you if I get in touch with this person.

Does he speak any spanish? I might also be able to contact locals.

Yes. I hunt almost everything that is legal in Argentina. You'll get tired of shooting after a day dove hunting here. Easy to shoot 1000 shells. PM and I'll connect you with my guide.

Contacted a gunshop in Córdoba and asked for input.

Where do I begin !!! I guess with the name of the now most common bird species in Argentina, and the subject of this topic, namely the Eared Dove (official English vernacular name), Zenaida auriculata (Scientific name), Torcaza (local name, but many others).

The species has expanded way beyond it's usual or normal abundance and distribution because of the destruction of chaco woodlands for soya crops. Years after this recent destruction of native habitats (yes it is fucking serious),the local government insisted on 20 m.-wide strips of natural chaco woodland to be left during the bulldozing operations. Although virtually none of the native birds could endure such a rape of their environment, the Eared Dove populations did just the opposite and exploded.

In Salta in August through November, US citizens shoot dead 1000's of Eared Doves per day and get their putas laid on. Nobody eats these small pigeons, it's all a farce. One of the main hubs for this YANKI-SHOOTING-PUTA-FEST is Las Lajitas, Salta

://www.hotellaslajitas.com.ar/index_archivos/actividades.htm

If you need more details just ask, although I am not a hunter.

Cordoba is world-renowned for its dove/pigeon shooting, but expensive, inconvenient and overkill -totally not worth it IMHO- I mean why would anyone consider traveling all the way over there when you can pretty much do the same thing on the outskirts of the city? Although it is impossible to compete with Cordoba in volume, there are great hunting 'estancias' around the city, if you father is not a hardcore avid bird shooter or a middle aged man with big pockets fulfilling a life-long dream I'd suggest going to "Lobos" or "San miguel del monte" both of these towns are within an hour or so from the city and can provide you with more than a handful of estancias to choose from they will arrange transportation for you and even provide you -for an extra fee of course- with shotguns and shells.. (I shoot doves, ducks, ostriches, fox, partridges etc almost on a daily basis here in Monte and I can honestly tell you that this place is more than enough)

Floppy said:
Can't believe that people still enjoy those terrible sports !!!
Please please leave those little creatures alone...
:(

Floopy while I understand where you're coming from, please know that the big doves you see around the city reproduce like crazy and don't migrate, these so called little creatures infest feedlots and grain fields they are therefore considered an agricultural pest and shooting them is encouraged, there is currently no quota, closed season or limit on the amount you can shoot making Argentina effectively the number 1 destination in the world for this 'sport' .. Mind you I personally am happy that this 'cleaning' is being performed by tourists who year after year leave thousands of millions of dollars in revenue helping us out not only economically but also ecologically.

Back