Dr. Ron Paul supporter??

Boomersic

Registered
I am only creating this thread for responses.

i don't care if your are DEM or REP, I am a proud American and, though I have always been in the middle of most debates, i am a supporter of Dr. Ron Paul.

Just curious if anyone else does and or their opinion...

LOTS of us supporting Ron Paul, back in the States too..however, looks like the two buddies are getting the most corporate funding instead..

Rep. Paul has some great ideas such as non-interventionism, anti outsourcing of jobs etc. He is wrong, in my view, when he advocates eliminating Social Security or Medicare. By the way, why must you call him "Dr"? He is not a practicing doctor, but a member of Congress and his title as a Representative takes precedence over any other past work he did or titles he may have.

He has some good ideas but in all reality a guy like him will NEVER go far in the US political system. A guy like him could never get elected president in the USA.

EarlyRetirement, you are right as things are now. It would take a major change in the American psyche. Americans in general don't think very deeply about their government's policies. They are not well informed. Every single war, no matter how completely unnecessary, is justified on the grounds of "protecting our freedoms" and the people buy it. Unfortunately the Democrats just like the Republicans are part of the Establishment and few Democrats would like to see the US become disengaged from world politics and just protect its borders and be more independent. As for Libertarians, they have some worthwhile ideas but insisting on near total self reliance and eliminating programs like Social Security and Medicare are absurd. Libertarians will get elected here and there to local office with the rare member of Congress but until they modify their views and focus on the critical issues such as a major change in foreign policy, a massive reduction in the military and opposition to outsourcing, they will not have much luck. With such radical policies they will face huge roadblocks put up my the military / corporate Establishment.

Libertarian and Ron Paul supporter.

Of course, Ron Paul could never get elected. His ideas are too far out of mainstream, which unfortunately, I believe is a bad thing for the US, eventually.

I'm not going to go into all of the reasons that getting rid of things like Social Security and Medicare are good ideas, WHEN TAKEN AS A WHOLE with other policies. Anyone interested can do their own research about this and will find more than the sound bytes usually presented against such ideas and see why people like Ron Paul who propose such things think it would be a good thing, not an evil money-grubbing-keep-you-in-the-dirt-and-don't-give-a-rat's-ass-about-anything-but-making-money thing.

But something as simple as eliminating the Federal Reserve, which according to many isn't even technically allowed in the constitution (the existence, not the elimination - it gives Congress the right to print money and control federal currency policy, not a quasi-private organization), but there are so few people who really understand that and why it does more harm than good, that the concept of eliminating it is treated as some form of bizarre heresy.

I'm an avid State's rights guy, always have been. "It says so in the constitution" and I believe the guys who created the US, in an attempt to shake off a greedy, corrupt, "one size fits all" empire, knew what they were doing, as far as they could know then, and warned us about what has been happening, really since the Civil War.

The federal government has created so many twisted, labyrinthine government agencies that control so many aspects of so many various things, that even if not by intention it is becoming a behemoth that can't be stopped. It's like sitting back and watching a train about to run off a cliff as the engine man is shoveling coal into the furnace.

What many think they know to be right, according to standard wisdom, often turns out to be dead wrong. History's shown us that time and again. One thing that I believe pretty strongly - the current way of doing things doesn't work, and as someone mentioned in a previous thread related to government programs to help workers, the more intervention, the higher the unemployment rate, usually (as an example of something that doesn't work - heavier and heavier labor laws that eventually cripple industry in an attempt to be "fair" to all).

But I'll never be able to convince others just by writing about it, except that one person in a thousand that may see something that makes sense but is contrary to current "knowledge." Then he or she does some digging, a bit deeper than "Libertarians want to pull out all support systems for the unfortunates" and other quickies, and sees what we're talking about.

The US is too big, has too many debts, is supported by too many people throughout the world. Seems to me that if the US were to collapse economically, say because the world lost faith in the dollar due to it's low value after the incredible devaluation it would take to to pay off those debts (how long? 10 years? 20? 50?), the rest of the world is going down with it, at least for awhile.

World-wide depression? Or will the US slowly drown in its own debt as everyone else says "alright, you helped out pretty big in world War II - how long are you going to keep banking on that" and starts moving away from the dollar as the international currency?

There are some people right now who are saying that the US would be better of right now in defaulting on loans than wait for the point when the devaluation of the currency gets so low that it's worthless. Like the Argentine Peso.

I don't know - I'm still learning.

Seems to me that there's no real way out of this though. People are voting themselves money through their representatives and senators, giving themselves a stronger and stronger addiction to government comfort and care. The US federal government wasn't put together to take care of people, it was done so to enforce laws and make things fair for everyone - not just a relatively few "luck of birth" royals and rich people who survived off the backs of those they oppressed and threw their lives away like chess pieces.

Like everyone is convinced they need a super-duper health plan that pays all costs at a low out-of-pocket deductible so they can feel good about going to the doctor when they get the sniffles and not even pay for their over-prescribed antibiotics, everyone is convinced that we as a people, as humans, in this day and age, have no compassion for our fellow man and we must force everyone to enlarge the addiction at the point of a government gun.

That's not charity. That's not helping your fellow man and putting an effort into making sure that those around you are taken care of. It's lazy, selfish and severely damaging to the American spirit.

But hey, that's just my opinion. And people like Ron Paul's.

My opinion is that he is most likely a homophobic misogynistic racist as suggested by the content published in the newsletters bearing his name. On the other hand, who knows, maybe, in spite of the mountains of evidence to the contrary, he didn't actually know about that stuff.

At the very least, what I do know is that he is an extremist nutbag who, among other things, wants to pull the US out of the UN, return to the gold standard and eliminate almost all federal government.

PhilipDT said:
(He wants to) return to the gold standard and eliminate almost all federal government.

He wants to audit the Fed (which they will not allow), stop this insane peso-like 'printing' of the USD through quantitative easing and attach it to something of real value and of limited resources like gold???

Yeah, I'd vote for the 'nutbag'. :)

Ron Paul supporter here. I think the day will come when a Ron Paul could get elected if, in fact, there is enough freedom left by then for anyone to be "elected." I think it will not be before people have finally been robbed of everything they have worked for and thought they owned. That's when reality will arrive, and not before. For now it amazes me that they still have faith that the news media is not lying to them and that the same people who caused it can pull them out of it. Hope springs eternal!

Canick said:
He wants to audit the Fed (which they will not allow), stop this insane peso-like 'printing' of the USD through quantitative easing and attach it to something of real value and of limited resources like gold???

Yeah, I'd vote for the 'nutbag'. :)
Gold is a commodity that has its own supply and demand characteristics, which makes it completely unsuitable as a stabilizer for the value of the dollar. I'm sticking with nutbag.

Back