Dumping Ecuador for Argentina

Ahhemm..

Registered
Hola. We are a soon-to-be-retired couple nearing 60. Ecuador has become a little too dangerous for my comfort and I am considering two or three years in Argentina, Uruguay and Chile until Soc. Sec. begins for us. Now here's my plan: We are outdoorsy, so we would fly to BA, buy a small RV, camp around and rent when possible, moving from the mountains to the coast depending on the weather (70s to 50s F is good). I've seen plenty of apartments advertised on VivAvisos which seem very reasonable; are these for real? When we are ready to return to the US we'd sell the RV. Our budget will be $US 2000 per mo. with some startup money in savings. What d' y' think?

Ahhemm.. said:
Our budget will be $US 2000 per mo. with some startup money in savings. What d' y' think?

There are more threads on this forum arguing this point than you could shake a stick at!

It goes something like this:
Can you live OK in BA on US$2000 per month?
NO....it'll cost you more than that just to rent a 3 bedroom hovel next door to the British Embassy in Recoleta.
YES....in fact, you can live like a king on a quarter of that.
What the F**k are you talking about - are you a mental?
Typical damned rich expats - why don't you f**k off back to your own stinking country?

;-)

Thanks Alzinho. You just saved me from having to read 15 pages of comments :=).

Thank you A#z##Ho. Okay, 2K is plenty. Let me be more specific. I tried to search the archives for info on buying a car but found nothing. What documents are required for an expat to buy and sell a vehicle? Cheers, Ahhemm..

By the time you have the requisite papers to buy a car here, you'll be retired.

TRUFAX.

If you wanted to buy something when you first arrive, probably the only way to do it is to make friends with someone on here and get them to do it in their name for you.

Where in Ecuador are you? What type of crime are you talking about? Just how bad is it? Ecuador is being heavily promoted by International Living. Are IL's reports dishonest?

Ahhemm.. said:
I tried to search the archives for info on buying a car but found nothing.

http://baexpats.org/expat-life/6654-buying-second-hand-car.html

Ahhemm.. said:
What documents are required for an expat to buy and sell a vehicle?

(this was my original post in the thread linked above)

All I found online was a link in the GCBA's page stating that you need a DNI. http://www.buenosaires.gov.ar/guiaba...menu=1&id=1224 . Also, you aparently need a CUIL/CUIL to register the transfer.
However, I'm still not really sure if you can somehow bypass these requirements. I had a client, a couple of years ago, that purchased a car having only a tourist visa and a CDI.

You might want to check it personally at the Registro de la Propiedad Automotor (check which one is closer to your address https://sistemas.dnrpa.gov.ar/guia_c...ulta_externa=S), and see if they accept your passport instead of a DNI and a CDI instead of a CUIT. If you're not fluent in Spanish you should go with someone that is.

The DNRPA's guide is constantly offline (its even cached in Google as offline). What i could find online regarding the requirements is the following (in Spanish):

1. Documentación que debe tener el comprador
  • Título del automotor - Original
  • Cédula de identificación (cédula verde) - Original
  • Patentes
  • Impuesto de emergencia - comprobante de pago: sólo para vehículos del año 80 al 89 inclusive.
  • Informe de Dominio otorgado por el Registro Nacional de la Propiedad del Automotor
  • Formulario 08 firmado por el vendedor y cónyuge, con firmas certificadas
  • Formulario 381: Emitido por la DGI para vehículos cuyo valor de facturación en origen fue superior a U$S 25.000.
  • Libre Deuda de Multas: En Capital Federal se solicita en la calle Carlos Pellegrini 211
  • Libre Deuda de Patentes: este informe debe ser solicitado ante la oficina Rentas, según lugar de radicación del vehículo.
  • Dirección General de Rentas GCBA, Viamonte 900 Consultas: http://www.rentasgcba.gov.ar
  • Rentas Provincia de Buenos Aires, Diagonal Norte 812 Capital Federal Consulta: http://rentas.gba.gov.ar
  • Formulario 12 Verificación policial (para los modelos 1981 en adelante)
  • Impuesto docente ley 25.053. Automotores que al 31/18/1998 su valor sea mayor a $ 4.000 y comprende inscriptos entre el 01/01/1979 y el 31/12/1999. (comprobante de pago en caso que corresponda)
  • Oblea colocada de la Verificación técnica vehicular: sólo para vehículos radicados en la provincia de Buenos Aires con más de dos años de antigüedad desde la fecha en la inscripción inicial.
2. Documentación que debe presentar el vendedor Antes de firmar algún tipo de documento o entregar alguna suma de dinero, el primer paso es que el comprador le pida al vendedor que muestre:

• el título de propiedad del auto,
  • su cédula verde,
  • chapas y patentes y
  • el certificado de Libre deuda de patentes.
El segundo paso es que el comprador pida en la sede de Registro Nacional de la Propiedad del Automotor (http://www.dnrpa.gov.ar) donde está inscripto el vehículo un informe de Dominio.
El tercer paso es realizar conjuntamente comprador y vendedor la verificación legal del vehículo para constatar si los datos de la documentación tales como los números de motor y carrocería o cuadro en caso de una moto coinciden con la marca y modelo del mismo.
Una vez que se realizan estos pasos se estaría en condiciones de firmar conjuntamente con el vendedor (y su cónyuge, si corresponde) la solicitud Tipo 08 ante escribano público o ante el Registro del Automotor, donde está radicado el vehículo.
3. Requisitos para la transferencia del dominio. La documentación necesaria es la siguiente:

• Título de propiedad del automotor.
  • Cédula de identificación (cédula verde).
  • Contrato de transferencia formulario 08 firmado por comprador y vendedor, por triplicado con consentimiento del cónyuge del vendedor, firmas certificadas por escribano o a certificar en el registro.
  • Verificación policial del automotor formulario 12.
  • Documento de identidad del comprador y fotocopia de la parte identificatoria y domicilio.
  • Comprobante de pago del impuesto de radicación de automotores, 5 años en Capital Federal y 10 años en provincia de Bs. As.
  • Impuesto docente ley 25.053. Automotores que al 31/18/1998 su valor sea mayor a $ 4.000 y comprende inscriptos entre el 01/01/1979 y el 31/12/1999.
  • Libre deuda del tribunal de faltas (infracciones de tránsito según la jurisdicción).
  • Clave de identificación tributaria CUIT o código único de identificación laboral CUIL.
  • Certificado de bienes registrables otorgado por la DGI (formulario 381) si el precio total del automotor es mayor de $ 25.000.-

If you can, get an international driver's license. Even thought your US driver's licenses (if you still have them) should be valid here while you are officially a tourist, you don't want any trouble when you get stopped and you won't want to get a license here, believe me (I am doing it now).

Ahhemm.. said:
Hola. We are a soon-to-be-retired couple nearing 60. Ecuador has become a little too dangerous for my comfort and I am considering two or three years in Argentina, Uruguay and Chile until Soc. Sec. begins for us. Now here's my plan: We are outdoorsy, so we would fly to BA, buy a small RV, camp around and rent when possible, moving from the mountains to the coast depending on the weather (70s to 50s F is good). I've seen plenty of apartments advertised on VivAvisos which seem very reasonable; are these for real? When we are ready to return to the US we'd sell the RV. Our budget will be $US 2000 per mo. with some startup money in savings. What d' y' think?

Well, I will try to be as helpful as possible. First I really think you will like Buenos Aires. I have been here a year and I plan on being here for many more years. I would say though, as with any big city, Buenos Aires can have it's unsafe moments but I have never had any issues myself with insecurity. If you use common sense you'll probably be just fine.

Second, with the apartment thing, yes there are cheap apartments here. I just moved to Palermo, one of the snobby neighborhoods, and we are paying the equivalent of about 350 dollars for rent (1,300 pesos a month). Of course, compared to a local wage, pesos 1,300 is kind of expensive but I am assuming that you have US dollars?

But we pay our rent in pesos. Almost all forgeiners end up paying an overpriced rent in dollars because you need a "garantia" to sign for an apartment in pesos. If you don't have a garantia, you can sometimes get them to let you pay in pesos if you are willing to pay several months in advanced, usually 6 to 12 months. (by the way the garantia is somebody who owns property in Argentina who is willing to sign the apartment contract with you, and they are sure hard to find!). But this is usually for an unfurnished apartment. Which turns out, furniture here can be a hassle to get, you generally can't get credit to buy things here unless you have a DNI number.

But even so you can get a fully furnished, one room apartment for as low as 450 dollars a month, but they are usually more like 500 or 600, as far as I can tell.

The good news is that if you are planning on being outdoorsy and spending lots of time in the providences the cost of living is a lot cheaper than in Buenos Aires. My boyfriend works with a guy who lives in one of the providences but works in the city. He pays a mere 500 pesos for rent on his home. I am pretty sure a 500 peso rent in Buenos Aires is entirely unheard of.

I would say that 2000 dollars is a very good amount here. We live here on quit a bit less than that and do well. Don't worry about other people's comments about thinking that you are "rich greedy gringos" and all that stupidness, just ignore them. The average salary here is much less than that and they are probably just jealous. :eek: I say enjoy your life and your retirement and don't worry about the other people's judgements.

Hmmm, also food prices have been worrying people a lot here lately with the inflation and all. It's getting a bit hard to get by on pesos. I think I would advise you when you get here to not buy fruits or vegtables in the supermarket, you can usually get them at a lower price at the food stands. Also, if you want to do cheap shopping ask people where "once" is. It's a bit of a danger spot in the city but if you go there you can buy things for a fraction of the price you might pay somewhere else. There's almost always some kind of cultural event, like dance or music going on for free. We just seen a Caetano Veloso concert in the plaza for free. Most of the museums are either donation based or you have to pay like 3 pesos to get in. So there's lots of things to do and see without needing too much money. Other than that, public transportation is really cheap, like 1.10 for a subway ticket and usually around 1.25 for a bus ticket.

If you want any tips on how to tour the city without wasting your time and money send me a message and I'd be happy to give you some tips on how to get around this place. I've had a couple of my friends visit me and I played tour guide for them, I really love being able to share the city with people since I think it has to much to offer. Good luck and I hope you enjoy yourselves!

Back