Dvd Rentals

Haven't in a few months but we usually to do orders from there every few months, and my brother in law has ordered probably thousands of DVDs from them over the years. They are good to their word, show up In the time frame provided (I think now there are different delivery days according to your barrio), the quality of the DVDs is as per the standard stated in the catalogue (ie in the excel it tells you if it's a cam or DVD quality etc) and they will do exchanges if you get a bad DVD or the wrong item -- think you have 3 wks to do the change, can't remember. We usually order series off of them, in fact we were just saying we should do an order again...

Most DVD rental outfits went out of business since most people buy pirated copies for $10 from the corner kiosk

Well I should clarify -- xtopsite isn't a rental site -- you buy DVDs for 5 pesos each (at least that was price last time I ordered), I think Blu-Rays are 20 pesos. Better quality than buying from the guys on the street

Why would anyone want to rent / buy DVDs when you can stream any movie instantly through pirate sites like Movie2k, Sidereel, etc.? Argentina is one of the few countries where it's not illegal - you're not taking enough advantage of living here!

I didn't know that it was legal to watch movies from pirate sites. I have Netflix, Hulu Plus and Amazon Prime streaming services, but they don't have many new movies.

Indeed, Netflix in Argentina sucks, nothing but old movies. I'm not sure if you can stream Hulu from an abroad location, but I don't think so. It's not that watching movies from pirate sites is legal, it's just that it's not illegal in Argentina either, so they won't track your IP address or anything of the sort. You can watch any movie / TV show from sites like Sockshare, Putlocker, Movie2k, etc. I watch The Walking Dead every Sunday only 20 minutes after it's aired in the US.

Great to know! I use a VPN service to get Hulu, Pandora or the US version of Netflix.

Where does it say that it's NOT illegal?
That's a risky statement at the very least.
I suppose the fact that 99.9% of software and films are pirated down here gives it some air of 'acceptability', but that in itself doesn't make it legal.

I stream just like everyone else but occasionally we do rent so that my husband can have the benefit of subtitles and without having to rearrange the cables of the tv to stream, whatever, sometimes it's just easier. Just in case anyone actually ever DOES want to rent we use http://www.dvd-phone.com.ar/
Just like every other great thing in Argentina, they deliver the movie to your door and pick it up the next day.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Johnny Expat Life 9
C Culture 1
camel Expat Life 14
S Culture 0
R Entertainment 0
Back