Easter Weekend-Mar del Plata? worth it?

Canick

Registered
Hi all,
although i have been here for years, somehow I have never been in Bs As over easter weekend. I'm told most things shut down and it gets very quiet...something I normally wouldn't mind, but I have a friend in from Canada that weekend. She has had a cold winter and looking for fun things to do with hopefully a bit of beach/sun. thus the Mar del Plata idea.

Can anyone tell me if Mar del Plata will be a zoo that weekend, akin to summer holidays? I have never been and thought it might be a good weekend to try, but not if it will be overpopulated.

Those that have stayed in Capital over Easter, is it as quiet and "closed' as they say?

any help much appreciated
thanks
nick

the roads will be solid.if you can go,say a day before and return a day later than the rest of the fleeing mob,then you will be fine.They estimate hotels will be around 70-75% occupied.good luck.We went in January,,never again ,,tooooooooooooo busy

I went two years ago. If you take a bus (or drive for that matter), try to get out by noon on Wednesday!

This summer wasn't particularly warm and this year Easter is very late, so don't expect a warm weekend at the beach. And the water will be quite cold. (Rio or Buzios would be much warmer.)

I wanted to get out of town, but turismo is keeping me in town this year. (Gots ta makes the monies.)

Traffic will be epic to and from MdP... as always.

Mar del Plata is nice, although it will be crowded, it will be nothing compared to January and february.

As said, make sure you have left town before wednesday 4pm the latest, or you will be stuck in traffic. The Ruta 2 is known for its traffic jams, especially at the beginning and at the end of a weekend. Come back on monday.

We will be going there too :cool:. Make sure you don't miss the sea lions in the harbour.

Another option might be Carilo, which is more quiet, but really nice. It is -to my citykids- the ATV paradise...

I went on a surf trip through Surf Urbano last year for Semana Santa. I remember the traffic being pretty bad, (something like 5-7 hours return trip) but I had a good time. I'd recommend renting a room as far in advance as possible, and take some surf lessons!

It's awful... don't go. Head north to other countries where they have a beach and sun.

thanks guys!
it seems it may not be worth it to go after all. what will it be like in Capital? everything closed (bars/shops/restaurants) or just on the friday?
Will it be like the other 300 holidays so far this year, or a 'bigger event'?
thanks again
n

Canick said:
thanks guys!
it seems it may not be worth it to go after all. what will it be like in Capital? everything closed (bars/shops/restaurants) or just on the friday?
Will it be like the other 300 holidays so far this year, or a 'bigger event'?
thanks again
n

Am afraid it will be "a bigger" event. Next to christmas this is probably the most important holiday...

Back