Ebay...

username

Registered
Hi guys,

I just bought a pair of sunglasses over Ebay in Europe. However, if I ask him to send it as a gift to Argentina do you think I will be caught in the customs? And how much would I have to pay if I was "caught"?

I could ask him to send it to my friend in Sweden who will get here in a few months, but I want them now! :eek:

Cheers!

If he send them as a present, you should not have problems. They are focus on clothes, snickers and electronics. No ticket inside!!! Regards

Yes it will be caught in customs. They don't care if it is a gift or not. What you should do is either label them as a book or put the content value below 25 USD. That should do it. Good luck.

Bajo_cero2 said:
If he send them as a present, you should not have problems. They are focus on clothes, snickers and electronics. No ticket inside!!! Regards

Sorry but you are mistaken. They focus on anything above 25 USD (with the exception of books).

I bought the pair for 40 Euros. If I would ask the guy(the seller) to leave a ticket in the box saying $20, could that help?

username said:
I bought the pair for 40 Euros. If I would ask the guy(the seller) to leave a ticket in the box saying $20, could that help?

He will have to create an invoice when he ships it that goes inside the box. Sometimes it's also necessary to specify on a slip on the outside as well. I'd tell him to put something like: Sunglasses - 19.95 USD

Is it really smart to have it on the package since then they will definitely open it?

username said:
how much would I have to pay if I get "caught" btw?

50% of the value + some fees. Plus the trouble of going all the way to the airport (or train station if it's not a private forwarder).

username said:
Is it really smart to have it on the package since then they will definitely open it?

They will most likely not open it. But if they do all they see is that the shipper declared the right product and a cost which is unknown by them. Just make sure you don't have the correct receipt of the actual cost in the same package.

as an ebay seller, I would never ship anything to Argentina. even if it did somehow make it through customs I wouldn't trust the people to admit they received it.

Back