El Calafate

GuilleGee

Registered
In addition to our short escape to Uruguay (as mentioned in a previous thread), we will be heading down to El Calafate for a little longer of a stay. I wanted to just put out a call for any recommendations about this trip. Such as, is it better to fly LAN or Aerolineas? Best Hotels? Good Activities? Also, in mid-march the temperature will still be acceptable for hiking and outdoors activities? Keep in mind that we are Minnesotans (minus my wife) so we don't suffer much from the cold :)

When you have a choice, always pick LAN. I'm not basing this on personal experience, but just from what I've read, mostly here.

I'm heading down there for the first time in mid-February for over 2 weeks. We're going to take a bus to Torres Del Paine, and backpack as much as we can. The wildfire situation seems under control, but some parts are still closed. They might re-open by the time we get down there. After that we're heading back to the Argentina side and doing Fitz Roy. It's right by El Chalten and probably about a 2 hour bus ride from Calafate.

How long are you planning on being down there? Doing any camping?

I've read the weather is unpredictable. Be prepared for freezing temperatures, rain and high wind. Dress in layers and you should be fine.

Hey Gullie I am also a family from MN and we are heading to Calafate this week. We were also told not to fly Aero so we are flying LAN and heading to Chile with LAN too. If you want to know anymore details just PM.

Hola Guille...

We're a family of 4 from NJ going down to Calafate and Chalten for a week a week from today. We live in BA. We're staying 4 nights in Calafate and 3 in Chalten. I have some concrete ideas based on what I've read and heard but, of course, it'll be better to make decisions once we're down there, I think. I'll post a report when I return. I've reserved places to stay and a car and that's about it. If you have any questions about anything now just PM me.

I went a couple years ago mid-march and the weather was GORGEOUS. I'd say it's a perfect time to go, of course it can vary and be freezing so prepared for everything. But I'm from Texas so I imagine my idea of cold is quite different than yours!

We did the Big Ice trek and a horse back riding day and reserved both of those excursions in the hostel on arrival. I'd recommend wearing layers cause we got lucky and had a really sunny day on the ice and ended up in our t shirts, but then it could obviously be the opposite.
You can reserve it when you get there but just as an idea, here is the website of the company that does the trekking:
http://www.hieloyaventura.com/

GuyinBA, I'm heading down to Calafate and Torres del Paine about the same time as Guille, and would also love to hear anything you learn from your trip.

I just came back from an awesome trip to El Calafate. I highly recommend staying at the Linda Vista apart hotel. It is run by a sweet family that will help you plan your days, transportation, dinners, and give any other advice you may need.

Highly recommend Hielo y Aventura (hieloyaventura.com) for glacier tour of Perito Moreno and ice trekking on the glacier (for 1.5 hours or 4 hours depending on your tastes/age/physical fitness). This business was really efficient and the people were friendly!

El Calafate is a great base town, but there is not much to do there for days on end. 2.5 hours away is El Chalten, where you can hike using the town as your base (no camping necessary if you don't want). I stayed in the hotel Destino Sur there, it is brand new and very nice (casi lujoso) . If you go to El Chalten and are tired of hiking, take the bus to Lago Desierto and then a boat ride across the lake.. it will get you an amazing vista of Fitz Roy on a sunny day.

My favorite restaurant in El Calafate was Pura Vida (amazing lamb stew... cazuela de cordero). You also have to check out the nature preserve in El Calafate called Laguna Nimes (or something like that). There are flamingos!

I second Pura Vida for their meals. Amazing.
We stayed in a relatively new place called Los Ponchos. It was a little out of the way, but we could still walk to town. The owners were super friendly and the place was roomy, quiet and clean, with a full kitchen.

I just returned from El Calafate yesterday. I was only there for a short stay but I highly recommend the Perito Moreno Glacier Minitrekking which includes a trip to the vista point. I also rather enjoyed the Todos Glaciares Navigacion boat excursion. I loved getting to see the Upsala glacier. I did a day trip to Torres Del Paine and the park was ravaged by a fire 3 weeks ago, so its in sad shape, although everything seemed to be open and running. The weather this weekend was absolutely stunning. However, it was extremely windy, so be prepared for that. I had the best steak of my life at Casimiro, the one that serves tapas. I reserved all of my excursions thru Aventura Andina, with the exception of the day trip to Torres Del Paine which I booked thru Amayco, the evening I got there and found it to be quite easy and was able to do everything I wanted.

I chose to fly Aerolineas Argentinas. It was much cheaper, and I actually thought it was rather enjoyable. I travel a lot and I personally can't stand LAN airlines and will do anything to avoid them, but I really think which ever you can find that matches your timing and price, go for it. Its only 3 hours.

Have a great time!!!

Back