El País: The recession in Argentina will be the largest among the G20 countries

I thought it was about immigration and its effects.

For a small percentage of the populace who follow Nigel Farage and are incapable of any reasoning beyond blaming people who look and talk differently from them for their own personal failures, it was. For the majority it was more about regaining some national autonomy from the EU, particularly with economic policy.

I see the main reason why the UK is Brexiting is because there are too many constraints being forced on them especially when it come to trade. The UK is more in bed with the US than any of the other members so I can only see that 'marriage' becoming even stronger. I wouldn't be at at all surprised if other members follow the UK in years to come.

Argentinas friends are all a bit on the dodgy side.

Among the UK's friends are Saudi Arabia, UAE, Qatar, and China. You wouldn't call them dodgy?

In his podcast, the Irish economist David McWilliams, in conversation with his pal Argentine senator Martin Lousteau, has on a few occasions drawn parallels between the Boris Johnson government and Peronist Argentina. Lousteau says that seen from an Argentine perspective, Boris smacks of Peronism in his ability to draw support from all classes around a dubious economic nationalism. Something that seems particularly out of the Peronist playbook is the idea of state-aided enterprises, such as the Dominic Cummings-inspired idea of creating a state-sponsored UK tech giant.

In last Tuesday's episode, after discussing the significance of Maradona to Argentines, Lousteau gives an account of the reasons behind Argentina's century of economic decline. McWilliams then goes on to speculate that, with the concrete effects of the utter madness of Brexit about to be felt, the UK may well be on the cusp of an economic tailspin comparable to Argentina's.

The podcast can be heard here:

This is a great conversation, thanks for posting this. Starts at 8:50 and goes to 32:00. Ends with an almost perfect summary: "the 'facade' that you see, it's not a facade, it's the ruins of what we had."

Last edited:
But unlike Argentinas friends they're not skint.

Argentinas top trading partners are Brazil, Australia, China, and the US. I wouldn't consider any of them "skint."

Argentinas top trading partners are Brazil, Australia, China, and the US. I wouldn't consider any of them "skint."

Indeed not, however I wouldn't say Argentinas relationship with them is anywhere near as cosy as the US/UK one.

I still think that is one of the main reasons for the UK brexiting. The keeping of the £ plus being an island also meant we never really felt that integrated.

Indeed not, however I wouldn't say Argentinas relationship with them is anywhere near as cosy as the US/UK one.

Depending on the era, circumstances and who was in charge at the time, the relationship between Brazil and Argentina have been just as cozy.
Back in 1982, during the Falklands conflict, then Brazilian president Gen. Figueiredo told both the US and the British governments in no uncertain terms that mainland Argentina was off-limits for attacks and if one happened, Brazil would enter the war.

Last week, Brazilian President Gen. Joao Baptista de Oliveira Figueiredo told President Reagan at the White House that the crisis must be brought to an end to avoid a severe split between Latin America and the United States. He indicated that if the British shelled continental Argentina, Latin America's ''passive'' alliance with Argentina would become ''active.'' Furthermore, Brazil is concerned that a humiliated and weakened Argentina on its southern border would be susceptible to instability and subversion.

SOURCE

Back