Electrodomestics From Abroad: Vale La Pena? Sí Se Puede?

srtamollygreen

Registered
Hello. Una consulta...

I am going back home in June for a few days and have a few electrodomestics that I can't really afford here right now (i.e. coffee pot, toaster, crock pot)
Is it worth it to bring those things over here (from US)? Is it possible to use them successfully... maybe with the right transformer?

You most certainly need a transformer but You'd better try look for the right voltage and frequency (220V / 50 Hz) in the US rather than buying a transformer for each of them. Transformers cost money and are heavy. You can get them also in Buenos Aires but why don't you buy these stuff second hand here?

Not the best idea. Some products dont perform at same efficiency with a transformer.

Most of the products will be on amazon USA - stand alone for 220 V - you have to search hard. USA market does cater for tourists traveling back to their home countries where 220V is in vogue.

But generally, these products wont have reviews online, and will be more expensive.

If you ask in Miami for 220 V appliances (due to LATAM tourist demand )all discount stores carry them and they ship within the USA.

Or Sam Stores

https://www.samstores.com/

Unless you have your heart set on a wifi enabled smart toaster, I wouldn't bother importing one. Same goes for the coffee maker. What you can buy here is fine and you don't have to worry about the voltage.

The crock-pot is a more of a question because they aren't common here.

There is model you can get here, but it's kind of expenisve at AR$3,000:

Multicocina Oster Bioceramic 5 En 1 Olla 5 Funciones Cmc6

A 220 Crock pot on Amazon will only run you US $89:

Crock Pot 37401BCI 3.5-Liter Slow Cooker, 220-volt (Non-USA Compliant), Silver

Crock pots are rather big and heavy (over 8 pounds in this case) so that is something to take into account as well.

If I was you I would bring the crock pot, the rest you can get it really cheap, even second hand and won't need a transformer.

2 words: Planned Obsolescence. is it worth it to you to lug some hunk of plastic all the way from up north for it's eventuial demise in the south?
I'd think carefully about it before I use up valuable luggage space for a fancy bread toaster.

We brought back a Breville espresso machine about 4 years ago and could not be happier. And we later brought back a coffee grinder. Those two things have brought us much pleasure and are used every day so definitely were worth the trip. However if you are just talking about a drip coffee machine, forget about it. Waste of money and space. Only bring back top of the line things that you really can't find here.

Casa de transformador is where you can go. You have to make sure to buy the right capacity of transformer as well, so you have to look at how much voltage it is using I believe. You don't want transformers running constantly either, they are an energy suck.

We brought back a Breville espresso machine about 4 years ago and could not be happier. And we later brought back a coffee grinder. Those two things have brought us much pleasure and are used every day so definitely were worth the trip. However if you are just talking about a drip coffee machine, forget about it. Waste of money and space. Only bring back top of the line things that you really can't find here.

Casa de transformador is where you can go. You have to make sure to buy the right capacity of transformer as well, so you have to look at how much voltage it is using I believe. You don't want transformers running constantly either, they are an energy suck.

A 2000 Watt would suffice for high consumption appliances , Toaster space heater, etc for smaller items 100 Watts i enough.

true 220 appliances will always work better and last longer than a transformer would.
I have brought a few down- coffee grinder is a good example- its easy enough to find a 220 version online in the USA, and its still cheaper and better than what you can find in BA.
http://www.220-electronics.com/220-volt-appliances.html

I have had good luck with argentine purchased Moulinex products. My blender and pava are both local, and I like em both a lot. I bought better models, glass blender jug, for instance, rather than plastic, but they werent THAT expensive.

Back