Electronics in Colonia

jb5

Registered
Can anyone tell me if I'll find a range of high end computers in Colonia, or if I'll have to go to Montevideo? Any opinions on where lowest priced computers are in LAM?

Chile is the cheapest place around here.

I worked out a wee while back it would be cheaper to buy a new 3d lcd tv in santiago and pay all the taxes (Chilean and Argentine) and flights/extra baggage on it than to buy one here. (although i ended up buying a tv on special offer at coto when they were changing their model range.)

I presume laptops will be similar.

Reactions: jb5
I´ve been to Colonia several times, usually dragging friends over on the way to Montevideo. I don´t ever recall seeing an electronics store. I´m sure they exist, but there can´t be many. It is a small town.

Montevideo seems a much better bet and I agree with the previous poster that Chile has good prices.

RR

scotttswan said:
Chile is the cheapest place around here.

I worked out a wee while back it would be cheaper to buy a new 3d lcd tv in santiago and pay all the taxes (Chilean and Argentine) and flights/extra baggage on it than to buy one here. (although i ended up buying a tv on special offer at coto when they were changing their model range.)

I presume laptops will be similar.

I was sure that Paraguay took the cake for this.

Head to Iguazu, zip through Foz do Iguaçu (BR) to Ciudad Este (PAR) and buy your electronics. Then zip back and fly back to Newberry. You don't even have to go to EZE (which also saves butt loads between taxis & taxes).

Napoleon said:
I was sure that Paraguay took the cake for this.

Head to Iguazu, zip through Foz do Iguaçu (BR) to Ciudad Este (PAR) and buy your electronics. Then zip back and fly back to Newberry. You don't even have to go to EZE (which also saves butt loads between taxis & taxes).

Yeah, I'm with you on Paraguay. I have not actually been to Ciudad del Este, but even in Asuncion, I can buy a cellphone for a price that is within a few dollars of the prices in the States.

Paraguay is pretty good on tariffs, compared to many LAM countries. They've chosen not to enact some thousand or so tariffs proposed by the Mercosur as acceptable in an effort to have better access to the outside world. I see Paraguay, if it keeps going the way it has been, rising over the next couple of decades.

I would buy in Chile over Paraguay as there are lots of counterfeit electronics in the later/

Back