END of the ROAD

gsi16386

Registered
So I'm sitting here at Ezeiza waiting for my flight to take me back to Miami where i started this journey from two years ago. I sold all my things in BA, packed up the rest of my belongings and I'm out of the country that I so fell in love with...in the beginning.

Bottom line is I couldn't handle living in a city where the quality of life is drastically so much lower than that in the States yet everything seems to be much more expensive. There just doesn't seem to be any order here and the order that is present is corrupt and very beauracratic. Efficiency is nonexistant and i hated waiting in lines at the supermarkets and the like. It's dangerous, and not like "it can happen in any city" dangerous, it's much more dangerous than that and anyone who thinks differently is kidding themselves. You would think because of all the faults the city has that you'd get some value out of the cost of living, but everything is much more expensive. From the food, to electronics, to furniture, to automobiles. Not only is it more expensive, but the quality of the products is way below par. I just no longer see the value in living here and so it's time to go and I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of expats with the option to leave follow suit....

BA Expats was an awesome website for me in terms of finding out how things work. For that, I am very grateful to you all!!! However, I'm out of here I'm sure Argentina won't cry for me or miss me ;-)

Hey best of luck to you, I am sure you will pick up right were you left off in the USA. I know when I went back to visit in October I felt glad to be there, it didn't feel like home anymore though.

I have a love-hate relationship with Argentina. I stay for mostly sertntimental reasons, my partner is WONDERFUL and I can't imagine my life without him. Also, I was a mortgage banker, and I don't know if that is a viable career anymore in the USA. I had a business here, it did well financially but the corruption and burocracy lead to it's demise. I recently started a new job, pays okay and we will see how it goes. I plan to open another business in the future, much smaller and off the radar screen from the Buenos Aires city government corrupt inspectors who go around expecting bribes.

Anyway thanks again for the fish tank I love it and have a great trip back!
Cheers :)

Good luck. After two years of dealing with the endless bullshit in Argentina you will discover that you have a new set of tools to get you further ahead in an environment with less daily obstacles. Use them well and enjoy your advantage.

The migrant that could not do it in the big city and goes back home is one of the oldest tales around. You cannot say that it was the economic crisis, the lack of growth, lack of opportunities. Reading your posts I understand that you did not liked the place, but there is no need to go on a tirade against it. Because it can be difficult to you to understand (maybe you should have lived a little bit in middle size Argentinean towns to get it) but we like our country. Like French like Landegoc or good food; like Thais like rice, etc etc etc. Gone are the times of "this country es una mierda, I want to live in Europe" yada yada yada. Now if somebody says that, we answer: "good luck, don´t forget to write, and the doors are open for you to come back".

I don´t understand your concept of "quality of life". I have recently seen a mall booklet with all the stuff you can buy in one in the States. It was weird and sick, like a parody of consumerism.

EDIT: ah, you talk about BA, even a specific area of BA. Well, yes, the city is overgrown, expensive, sometimes dangerous (a lot more paranoia than real stuff going on) and dirty. Also beautiful, cultural and fun. Yesterday I was working 170 km. from Buenos Aires in a town. Bicycles were all around, in the door of stores and houses, without chains, not too many fences, children playing in the street, birds chipping, local parks full of flowers and almost every house with a new layer of nice paint; also, lots of reparation and new construction going on.

I don´t understand your concept of "quality of life". I have recently seen a mall booklet with all the stuff you can buy in one in the States. It was weird and sick, like a parody of consumerism.

Can you give more info about this booklet?

Maybe we should all tone down the attacking tone every time someone posts something?? This is a guy who is trying to say goodbye and wants to thank everyone on this forum who helped him out during his stay. Unfortunately Argentina didn't work out for HIM and that's fine. No need to compare the U.S. and Argentina because they're two very different places and it doesn't matter which is "better" because that judgement will be subjective and vary from person to person.

Anyways, gsi, safe flight and good luck! I hope you find what you are looking for in your life back in the states.

Back